College Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetKid_93, Jun 6, 2011.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    He failed to clarify thanks to his poor grammar and spelling - I thought he meant "matching" rather than "marching" - his spelling was "maching" so I had to interperet that by filling in the blank on the misspelled word, and I went the other way.

I've got nothing more for this kid - I was MARCHING and gigging professionally before he was even a gleam in his daddy's eye, but apparently my advice is of no use or consequence to him because at age 17/18 he's "a well read educated musician." Apparently there is nothing left to teach him.

I contend that the issue here is not his horn or his mouthpiece.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. unkleschilke

unkleschilke New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    Indiana

AAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!ROFL

Love it!

3. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    I thought he meant "old" players.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    At 18 a lot of us had our pants full of stuff that we had to eat during the years following our indestructability.

Anyone with half a brain knows that the more you know, the less you talk about it. The rest of us are well read and educated (me included).

I think this kid has a problem. He won't get much money for the Bach, but wants another horn that will give him more range and endurance. Fairy dust is expensive on Ebay these days.

5. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Ya, horns are expensive on ebay these days. It kind of sucks for trumpeters, b/c of the internet everyone now knows what they're old horn is worth.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    HEY if the OP is still here -- and willing to listen -- he can go out and buy Keith Fiala's setup (an Austin Winds 470 -- and Keith's mpc) --- or quite frankly he could follow the link and go to Keith's website --
    there are many helpful tips -- not just on equipment -- but also "low pressure" + air + playing relaxed --- CONFIDENT but NOT COCKY

and my help in this posts is that each of the players I listed on youtube --ALL have a different horn -- YET they are all very good!!!!!!! (ok the 2 Kilties with the G sopranos likely have the same set up))

YouTube - ‪Trumpet High Notes By Former Maynard Ferguson Player‬‏

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OH - I forgot this guy can play also --
    and hopefully if a "picture is worth a 1000 words" - then a video must be worth much more --- I hope the OP is able to learn something from all of this

YouTube - ‪Matt Gallagher‬‏