College Major/Minor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DLP08, Oct 2, 2007.

1. DLP08

DLP08 New Friend

Sep 2, 2007
    I am having some trouble with deciding which path I want to choose for college. I know college is still a semester away, but some of my auditions require to have it settled already.

I have a high interest in Psychology, and a passion in music.

My choices are Music Performance, Music Education, and Psychology.

I am pretty sure that I would like to major in performance in order improve my playing the most, as well as help me towards the scholarships.

Music Education is something I would like to do in my later days, and maybe I can go back to school or something?

Maybe since psychology is only an interest, is there any way to major in performance, minor in education, with psychology electives?

Boy am I lost...

2. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    It was once described to me (currently a music performance major) that a performance degree is nothing more than a piece of paper saying "I can play trumpet."

Also, Alex Jokipii (I hope that's spelled correctly) once said to me, "It doesn't matter what teacher you have. If you were stranded on an island with every book in the world, you could be just as good."

That said, I'd major in Psychology, and Minor in Education. That way, you get both, plus you'll still be able to get your Masters degree, if I'm right, so you'll be able to teach later on, you'll be getting your lessons, so you can grow (most of which comes out of the amount of time you put into the instrument), and you can continue with your psychology stuff.

It depends on what you WANT to do for the rest of your life. If music is your passion, then by God, only be a music major, because it's SO hard, especially so for education majors. I play as much as I can, and I enjoy it. The time I'm spending playing, everyone else is sitting in a classroom.

From what I understand, you hand in a resume for auditioning for orchestras etc, and they decide whether you're in or not to audition. At least if you teach, you can meet people in your area and play with them and play gigs.

My High School Band director opened for Earth Wind & Fire one night. So, there is potential to play professionally as an educator.

Though, have you thought about Music Therapy? I don't know much about it, but it might allow for a combination between psychology and music, so you can decide from there.

So my advice is to at least audition for both Edu and Perf, because the professor will then pick where you'd best fit, and you can always move to something else - that's the beauty of college - except you're paying heaps of money for it.

But you will have to decide eventually, and no one can choose for you, of course.

I hope that helps.

Besides, isn't this what your HS Councelor is for? lol I might have been spoiled with a great councelor, I wonder.

3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    A major in phsy will get you a job selling insurance, renting cars and other people to people oriented jobs. Not very high pay.

I would suggest business admin and accounting with a double major in music.
    Once you have both degrees get out there and start your own booking agency or other entertainment company. Play your trumpet and use your business and marketing education to make a living in the music business.

Herb Alpert did pretty well at it.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Read our threads on the New York Phil/Boise and Atlanta auditions to get a recent taste of the performance circus. Music Ed is brilliant if you were born for that type of job and a desaster if you were not.
    I agree 100% with stchasking. If your heart is not 150% behind becoming a musician, then study something where you will get a job and be able to support the music habit! If you are a 150% musician, nothing we can say will make any difference anyway!

5. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    Good post. Most of the people I play with around town work outside the music profession but still maintain a professional level of musicianship. Some of them make a lot of money doing something else they like to do and don't have to sweat the BS that comes with the performing music scene. Some examples are the dixieland tuba player that is a transplant surgeon, a trombone player that is a Marine Corp Colonel and a euphonium player that is an electrical engineer that is part owner of a major corporation that contracts to the defense industry. One well known guy that comes to mind is Victor Lopez who is a high school principal and has had a ton of success performing and arranging music. Tom Brown flies airplanes when he's not busy recording. Why be one dimensional?

6. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    All good advice, bottom line make sure you love your job or else the rest of your life will be hell.
    It doesn't matter how much a job pays, if you wake up each morning and dread doing it.