College professors/instructors: please reply!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cbradwhitfield, Apr 11, 2006.

1. cbradwhitfield

cbradwhitfield New Friend

Sep 29, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I am hoping that some of you can help with this study. If anyone does not want to reply here on TM, you may email me at [email protected]. Thanks for the help!

The following questionnaire is part of my research into the concerns related to building a college trumpet studio. It is my intent to discover some of the issues and solutions related to building a successful studio in a small college which may not have many of the recruiting advantages of larger institutions. While the focus is on the smaller college setting, I would like to include conservatories and large institutions in the study as well, as to note the differences between each as it relates to the topic.

If you can, please take a few moments to reply to as many of the following questions as you feel comfortable answering. The results of this survey will be included in a document which I will present to the students of a doctoral seminar (Music in Higher Ed) at the University of Georgia. Any insight you can offer is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to include anything else which you may deem appropriate to this topic.

QUESTIONS

How many trumpet students do you teach? (majors/minors/total)

How many scholarships/assistantships (or how much scholarship $) do you have to offer incoming students?

How many out-of-state trumpet students do you teach? (approximation OK)

How do you go about recruiting prospective students to your school?

What are the strengths of your program (i.e. what does your program have to offer that perhaps another institution might not?)

What do you look for in prospective students? What do you avoid?

What advice would you have for someone trying to build a college trumpet studio?

If there are any other questions or comments you might have regarding the study, please post them or drop me an email. Thanks again.

-B

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    cbrad- I teach in a college, as an adjunct. I'll pm my answers if you'd like. I've only got a very small amount of students (3 was max). It's a private university, where the music department is basically shoved into the basement, and offers maybe 2 ensembles. I would be interested in the results of this study, if you would not mind sharing.

3. cbradwhitfield

cbradwhitfield New Friend

Sep 29, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Feel free to pm anything; it is greatly appreciated. Thanks Glenn.

-B