College Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, May 2, 2010.

1. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    I wasn't a music major but have two daughters who were (and are). By far, the most difficult Freshman course they had was music theory. It was the "weed out" course in their programs.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Something to consider, but are you talking about being a music ed major, or music performance major?

I've become somewhat disillusioned by college music programs in general UNLESS your overall goal is to become an educator. Being a performance major is not a guarantee that you will perform, and frankly, I've know more than a few college educated music performance majors who simply put, were not good performers. Some of them didn't even have good technical chops. I've known a handful of music educators over the years who managed to keep their chops up and were good performers, but it seems that the majority kind of go to seed - they have the steady paying teaching gig, they have families, they have other time commitments and their chops fall to the wayside from lack of use.

I believe this to be an individual thing - there are those who would be great players with or without college, and they use college to refine their abilities. On the other hand, I know a bunch of fantastic players who never fully made it through a college music degree program, and others who never even used a restroom on a college campus.

There was a time when I felt that my dream job was to be a music teacher - High School band in particular, but in my observations over the years it seems that if you are going to teach on a high school level and have a successful program, then the school band program pretty much dominates your life. The pay certainly isn't grand, so the job itself has to be part of your reward.

A friend of mine out here was a career high school teacher, and he flat out told me that he pretty much lived his job for over 30 years - he had summers off, but the school year was comprised of the full day teaching gig, and games, pep bands, extra-curricular band, marching band, festivals, etc, that went well into the evening for most evenings. But, he was very successful in it and a number of fine players were in his classes - one of the best swing drummers I've ever gigged with was a student of his.

Sorry for the meander - I'm just curious what your overall goal is.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  3. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    My overall goal is to be a high school band director, I have infact found out that in about 2014 (in TN)(according to a state wide survey by our state gov) is when the baby boom generation will begin to retire from Band Director jobs, ill be entering college the fall of 2011, and in eith 2015 or 2016 (however long it takes 4-4 1/2 yrs) ill be out of college, so along with my choice of career, it seems likely i'll be able to enter the field with more ease than what was with previous music grads which they have told me how hard it was, one worked at mcdonalds for 3 yrs before he was teaching, plus I live in Murfreesboro which about 7-8 miles from my house is the geological center of tennessee. Plus Middle Tennessee is where I would like to teach, and were having a massive influx of population so more schools are being built. I really don't care where I get on at first, so long as I get on my feet after college (preferably in TN) I have no problem working my way up i've always had to do that. Also along with my aspiration of being a high school band director I also want to be a drill writer. I love drill and sit and watch drill moves on youtube that have no sound, only a hand recorded video off of pyware. Boring by many of my friends, but i'll sit and ramble off drill manuevers and it amazes me how no-one knows what i'm talking about, cept one of my directors he wrote drill for corps back in the day. Sorry bout the run-ons and rambling, I really want to have a high school program that's successful (like the current one im in) get it to where it's driven by student drive (cant tell you how much you appreaciate it when you get older) and also be able to play most instruments at a grade 4 level so I can teach properly. I'm in and don't want out currently (also wanna march corps)

4. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Equations:

College+Hard Work=Success

Conversely:

College+Party=Zippy Mart Cashier

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Or in the case of my friend:

College+Party+Hardwork=Wall Street T-bonds trader. He played hard, but he worked hard when it was called for.

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    He is a rare breed.

7. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    One of my best friends is a beast at sax in jazz, and he has a 3.5 (out of 4) GPA. Also our DM, best jazz improv person we have, one of our best musicians, and he works a 20 hour week at chuck e cheeses, plus he's in all adv honors and AP, and will probably score the highest possible on our History AP tests, never studies for a thing. I envy him, he got a 30 his 1st time on the ACT without studying or anything. Envey rages in me with this aspect. Oh well, he's goin 2 the same college as me and plans to party, I plan to party in the band room all day doin this :play:

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's good that you are looking at it that way. I've been trying to convey the idea to my son that he should grind it out now - work his tail off academically for the next 6 years (remaining two years of HS + college) so that he doesn't have to work his tail off for the rest of his life. Call it front-loading or whatever, but the point is, the people who excel and push hard through college have better odds at getting better jobs and being successful post-college.

9. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    The only reason I got serious was because I wanted to keep playing my trumpet for alot longer than after high school, plus my head director came from dirt and hardly had any money or playing talent, he's around 50 now and is loaded, drives a really high end beemer, so that kind kicked me into working. Plus he's one of the most successful HS Directors in our state (if I don't say so myself) Cause he helped lead us to our state championship and undefeated season this year in 2 states, so I really end up lookin up to him alot.

10. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I'm a Junior at Eden Prairie High School and I've been going to the University of Minnesota to take Tonal Theory/Analysis I & II as well as Ear Training I & II. The four classes combined have shot my 3.98 GPA down to 3.72. Anyway, GPA aside, I don't know about MTSU but University of Minnesota curriculum is pretty hard, for me anyway. Homework is serious business and even one point really counts towards your final score. I've been studying with Dr. Baldwin here at the U, and he's been great. I'd say that try taking a college level theory class and figure out the "intensity" level. It was an eye opening experience for me. Probably was really good for me that I had this experience earlier.