College Search

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crazytrmpetnerd9, Mar 14, 2010.

1. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    Im in my junior year of high school now and am starting to look at where I could possibly pursue music in college. I have looked at schools such as Oberlin, Ithaca, Hartt, Eastman, Boston U... I am most likely looking for a school where I can study music and maybe take academics as well and have been shying away from schools like Berklee for this reason. I know in the end it is ultimately what I like best, but any suggestions on where I should look next or input on these schools would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance:play:

2. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Will your grades, aptitude tests, and or funds limit your choices?

3. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    I don't know about getting in to any ivy leagues:roll: but figuratively speaking, no limits, because I just want to get a better feel for what is out there

4. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I would tend to think of the midwestern state schools like U Michigan and U Indiana. They have strong music schools and also strong academics (particularly Michigan).

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Can you be a llittle more specific. Do you want an education degree, performance degree? Music and academic double major? Jazz, orchestra? Are you decided on a music degree, or is it one of several possibilities?

I don't know a ton about schools in your area, but in case you're intereseted in going out of state, I'll send you a pm about some other places.

6. Sam24

Sam24 New Friend

Feb 11, 2009
    Hey I go to Berklee if you want more info on that. But we're all gonna need a bit more info as to what you want to do if you want help.

Berklee does offer liberal arts classes and a lot of them are actually really interesting and they incorporate music into the fold. I've heard about someone's english class eventually really helping out their songwritting. But you probably won't be going as in depth as a music school attatched to a university.

Berklee is mostly a jazz school, but there are a lot of good classical teachers. There just in the minority. Charlie Lewis is on the brass faculty and he plays all the serious classical stuff as well as jazz.

The players at Berklee are serious too. I've been to jam sessions where solo after solo was beyond killing. But not enough trumpet players. Come on through!!

7. cuttlefishii

cuttlefishii New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    I don't really have any suggestions for you College-wise, but I will say that Oberlin's Conservatory is INCREDIBLY tough to get into. They pull students from all over the world so you have to be very very very talented to get in, especially on a more common instrument such as trumpet. I am lucky enough to live within driving distance of Oberlin myself, so I get access to a few of their resources (like their music library in the Con. LOVE that place!) without being a college student, and from what I can tell it's definitely worth going there if you can get in. So definitely try for it :D

8. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

It would depend on what kind of career with the trumpet you want. Classical, jazz, commercial playing, or education, production, marketing, etc.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Choose the place where you can learn the most.

10. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    A well-rounded education is important for undergraduate studies. Remember, the best musicians tend to be the best people at life.