College student level summer playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Oct 26, 2010.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    As a high schooler there were hundreds of camps around that you cold audition and play for. but what about a college student

2. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    There are festivals you can audition for -- you just need to search. Things like Monadnock Music in New Hampshire, and the Aspen Festival in Colorado, and I'm sure there are others.

Ask your college trumpet teacher what's available -- one of the best things you could do if you can't find such a thing to get into is to set yourself a very rigid practice schedule and select with your college trumpet teacher a list of technical etudes, concert etudes, solos and orchestral excerpts for you to work on. And then force yourself to stick to a 4 or 5 hour a day minimum practice schedule, with only occasional days off, and turn yourself into a monster player over the summer.

And find top-notch pros around your area (the principal chairs of orchestras near you or the college trumpet teachers at different colleges around your area) and take at least one lesson with each of them to get a different perspective on your playing and what they think you should be working on.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    What exactly are you looking for, the playing or the camp experience? Just curious - it might make a difference for what you would ultimately wind up doing. If it's for the camp, I've read about a couple of adult level band camps for those so inclined, but I think that's more for the experience rather than having it be a true musical experience.

4. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Tanglewood Music Center Orchestra

5. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I guess to clarify a camp.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User