College student suffering severe range & buzzing issues - help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jason R., Jun 17, 2010.

1. Jason R.

Jason R. New Friend

Jun 16, 2010
    New York
    Ok I realize that I have several contradictory statements, and the day of the original post, I was especially frustrated.

Also, after I posted this thread, something that's common sense hit me- I have only been on this new 3C mouthpiece for a couple weeks, so naturally, my range and tone quality is going to suffer for a bit until I get used to a smaller cup mouthpiece. If I go back to my 5B, 90% of the problems start to go away, or at least become much less frequent. I am used to a larger cup, so it is naturally taking some time to adjust. So there's a great majority of what's causing it.

When I posted the original thread, it was after an hour of hard practice, with barely any break, which is why my endurance sucked at that point. I can play above a G, don't doubt that. It's just when I start to get tired, instead of putting the trumpet down for a bit, I have been in the bad habit of playing until everything was really falling apart. So that's another reason why I made my self sound like crap in the original post- because I was venting a little, I suppose.

Yes, I do realize that for a while, I really had very little discipline when it came to the trumpet for quite a few years. I AM applying everything I have learned in my practice, though, especially now. In the past, I wasn't very disciplined, which is why I'm not where I should be right now in terms of range and endurance- due to lack of playing.

I really do apologize for confusing everyone, but I thank you all for your candid advice. You can bet I will be talking more to my teachers and professors regarding this. In the meantime, I am keeping myself to a strict practice routine, applying all my gathered knowledge so far, unlike before, when I would just sit down and start playing some repertoire right away.