College...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LuckilyCarolyn, Sep 7, 2010.

1. LuckilyCarolyn

LuckilyCarolyn New Friend

May 4, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Hi guys- so as a senior this year I really have to start looking into colleges. And at this point in my life, I'm really set on going into Music Education, and focusing a lot on trumpet as I go through with this.
    I know not all of you went to college for music, or maybe you didn't go to college, or whatever. But my question here is if you went to a college with music ed, or what not, and you loved it, or liked it, or didn't like it one bit, could you tell me about it ? Or any help you could give me for getting into a program? I mean, I guess I'm supposed to ask my guidance councilor these sorts of questions, but all they ever tell me is "Well your test scores say you should probably go into English, really, Do yourself a favor and make more money than your band director."
    They're super helpful....so I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice and be more super helpful than them? haha.
    Thanks,
    -C

2. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    You could always major in English and minor in music; especially in your first year. You can always change your major down the road, but try it in small quantities and hedge your bet.

Mark

3. LuckilyCarolyn

LuckilyCarolyn New Friend

May 4, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    It's more that I have no desire to major in English, and yet that's what my guidance councilors tell me...Music is really what I'm passionate about, and as a section leader in our band, I always love sectionals where I get to teach playing things rather than just marching things. Like showing people that breathing together makes you play together. It's rewarding in a way where it makes you feel like you did something big [when you did something tiny] but also making the ensemble play that much better by one tiny thing.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    -----
    Hi Carolyn,
    I think I can help. There are interest inventories that you can take for free that are at your Guidance Counsilor's disposal. One such type of inventory is the Strong Interest Inventory. These tests help you get an idea where your interests are.
    Also:
    The first couple of years should be spent taking your General Requirements classes That's usually 42 to 44 hours and for the most part, if you're going for a four year degree, everybody has to take these classes. Generally, the difference between BS & BA is the foriegn language requirement.
    ---
    You can minor in music

5. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    I'll come back later for a more thorough reply about teaching in general and being a music major (I'm a former music ed major, high school english teacher, and current Ph.D. level researcher in special ed at a state university), but English is hardly more lucrative than music education.

In fact, English majors are among the least likely to get a job in their degree area. If you don't have a passion for English, there is NO reason whatsoever to pursue an English degree. Most English PhDs and MFAs are buried in student loan debt and working for less than $35,000 a year. Its worse if all you have is a bachelors.

Scatmanblues

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    As a very old man with siblings, a spouse, children and grandchildren graduated from many major colleges and universities my advice is to major in the subjects that you can get the highest GPA in. In most cases, the new grad with the highest GPA is the person who will get the job. If you want music, then, major in music. That will 'usually be' the subject that you will show the highest GPA and that will serve to make placement easiest. Many job applicants enter fields that they are only partially prepped for. Specialty education can come after the job is secured.

OLDLOU>>

7. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    As a former Music Major I can tell you that you are looking at a LOT of work ahead of you.
    You will be inundated with information.
    You will be learning History.
    You will spend many hours Listening.
    You will be learning several different instruments.
    You will be learning how to master your instrument.
    You will spend untold hours practicing.
    Most will end up playing in every band offered.
    I myself ended up taking classes that went toward 4 different Music degrees offered at the time.
    Performance
    Composition
    Education
    Commercial Performance and Composition.

And Yes I loved every second of it.

Good luck if you decide to pursue it.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Teachers are born not made. If you want to go into music ed, an incredible opportunity becomes available: to frustrate yourself like never before or to touch the lives of countless kids. Education, like music performance should NEVER be a choice with the least disadvantages. You really need to want it.

Look around in your school at the kids in music class. Talk to your MUSIC TEACHER about dreams come true or destroyed. The guidance counselor is someone to go to AFTER you have done the soul searching!

9. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Rowuk is right. Teaching is a "calling", like the priesthood - complete with the vow of poverty. I've been teaching for 31 years and wouldn't trade it for anything but, it is not for everyone. Speaking practically however, your playing will never be as good as when you graduate from high school. If you try English, for example, chances are you won't be playing everyday and your skills will deteriorate. Hence, I would strongly recommend doing music first. You will take so many music classes, many of them will transfer into general ed or distribution requirements should you choose to change majors.

10. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Speaking practically however, your playing will never be as good as when you graduate from high school.

I will take issue with this.
    If they cant improve over being in High School they have no business being in the Music field.