Combatting Dry Mouth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ColinWhite, Apr 21, 2011.

1. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    Hi, I've got Juries coming up in a couple weeks and I was wondering if you guys could help me with the only major problem I get from nervousness: dry mouth. I can deal pretty well with the other parts of being nervous, but the dry mouth REALLY affects my playing. I was hoping that maybe someone has had a similar problem and knows how to get rid of it. Thanks much!

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Well, I would suggest a really pretty director -drool. Ha ha. Actually, why not keep a bottle of water nearby? Lot's of the pros do. Maynard always had a glass at hand.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And add lemons to the water. Water and lemons, that should do well (but I kinda like the pretty director theory... does she play the flute? Nah, water and lemons are much safer.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Fold up your tongue backward, trying to bring the tip as far back as possible and press it down with your palate. That opens up a number of canals from the salivary glands and will take care of the problem in a few seconds. If the dryness persists once you're in the action, better have some water at hand too. Maurice Andre used to recommend applying lemon juice to your fingers and touching the tip your tongue, I haven't tried it.