Come Back Player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barrypartake, Mar 15, 2008.

1. barrypartake

barrypartake New Friend

Mar 13, 2008
    Hey gals and guys,
    I am new to trumpetmaster and as my title implies I am a comeback player in need of sound advice.
    I am having trouble with articulation and tongueing, also I am using too much pressure when I start playing above the staff. I am playing thru the Rubank intermediate and advanced books as well as the Arban's book. I have tried playing pieces at a slower tempo and then speeding up the tempo as I progressed but with little success. Any and all help appreciated.:dontknow:

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Welcome Barry. Was 25 years off, now 2+ years on. You working with a teacher?

3. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    barry, welcome to Trumpet Master. I also am a so-called "comeback player". I find that Clarke studies are really nice since they are not very hard. They are drill-like exercises and they really help getting back in shape. I do like Arban's too, but I find I'm not yet proficient enough. So Clarke it is.

Welcome again.

4. administrator

administrator Administrator Staff Member

Jun 27, 2006
    we have many come back players here. Great to have you!

5. barrypartake

barrypartake New Friend

Mar 13, 2008
    Thank's for the support.

Barry

6. barrypartake

barrypartake New Friend

Mar 13, 2008
    Unfortunately no,
    I am a traveling therapist, in Texas right now, but consider Mississippi home. I may try to find someone on my next assignment which is in a Dallas, TX suburb. If anyone can recommend someone in that area. let me know.

Barry

7. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Hi Berry!

Two things for you:

1) Work on your breathing... this will improve articulation and the use of pressure. You can do a search for breathing/ breath in the forums and find lots of useful advice.
    2) Practice soft. The softer the better. You will find that when you train your lips to respond at a softer volume you will automatically stop using as much pressure.

Good luck and have fun!!

Mike

8. Patrick9654

Patrick9654 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Hi everyone. I am also a comeback player. It was 30 years since I played. I am also new here and am looking forward to finding a lot of useful info and meeting some new friends.

I am really looking for some good tips on building up indurance and range.:lol:

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dallas/Fort Worth is the home of Pops McLaughlin (http://www.bbtrumpet.com). This is a pretty good address to get you started!

10. Patrick9654

Patrick9654 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks Rowuk, I'll check it out.