come back player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jun 9, 2009.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I have been playing 4 months and 1 week to be exact and my teacher told me to buy a metronome cause I play" my own tempo so to speak " ok I understand that and I really want to learn ,but after practicing tonight with metronome I did not realize how fast some of the tempos in the Arban book are this one piece in the Art of Phrasing is in 3/4 played Moderato I cannot play the 8 note triplets in time ,I know that I am just starting out maybe I am trying too hard ?? Anthony

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Anthony,

Gee Wiz you have high expectations on yourself.
    Slow it down, and get the fingering and notes correct, then slowly speed it up. The metronome is mainly to get you used to getting the 3 beats to a bar etc. The tempo is important when playing a tune with others, but do not go too fast too early, it will destroy your confidence. I still slow things down when I am practicing, to be sure to get the tone and quality sound first, then speed up...if I can.

4 months and 1 week....you are doing OK. Stick with it.
    Cheers

3. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Play it at a slower speed until you get used to it/ perfect, THEN speed it up to temp. gradually. Don't try to go too far too fast. Build a SOLID foundation.

Cheers,
    Jason

4. mrbill00

mrbill00 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2009
    Middle of Georgia
    for right now, slow it down to where your comfortable...practice till you get it right, then start bumping up the speed.

also long tones(middle c down and pedal notes), low note slurs (D to low G)...10 min several times a day///make it burn///
    ..those worked best for me in month 4

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Anthony, well done so far, get the notes right and then try to step beyond your limit. I believe a stepped approach will be better than a gradual ramp up to speed.

6. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks guys slow it down , long tones and slurs appreciate your help,Anthony:play: