Come-backer Recital Etiquette

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rdt1959, Apr 23, 2007.

1. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    I am starting to plan a recital, the first since my "come-back", and have a few questions about the etiquette of amateur recitals.

A) Is there even any etiquette for such a thing?

I will probably do this in my Church. I initially wondered about paying the pianist or not, but on reflection I decided that I should. After showing her the part, she looked at me and said "That is really a hard piano part...I am not sure about this...". Then she looked at the score with this odd expression...the kind of expression that says "it's you against me...YOU LOSE!" Sat down, rattled off a couple of passages, then said "I'll do it". (I guess you need to know her...very small, soft spoken women....but when it comes to music absolutely REFUSES to back down from a challenge!). Anyway, I wouldn't feel right asking her to put in this much practice time for nothing.

What other things should I be thinking about?

For information:

Audience: Primarily friends, family and members of our community band. Although I will have some advertisements in the local paper, I doubt many of the locals will show up.

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Dick, good manners is always in fashion as well as figuring out what will bring enjoyment to the folks attending.

Since you are already thinking about your audience, you're on the right track.

Will you be the sole performer?

Food and fellowship is usually a can't miss, especially if there's chocolate. Or spicy bratwurst.

Any other talent you can tap amongs friends, family, and band mates?

If you and others strive to construct things so a good time will be had by all, then what lark that will be!

How long will the show last?
    How many folk?
    What sort of acts?

Where will it be?
    Is it comfy?
    Fun things to do for the audience before?
    Fun things to do after?
    Attire for performers?

What day of the week will the show be staged?
    After work for any?
    On a weekend?
    Will folks likely be tired, excited, looking for laughter, diversion, enjoyment of each others' company?

Sounds like a great idea too.

What's the repertoire be?

Have a Great Time!

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A noble endeavor on your part, and great advise from Richard. You might want to take a bit of time and ponder the purpose of the concert; ask yourself what the audience should walk away with. Plain old-fashioned fun, or is there a message you want to convey? Well done readings can add to the atmosphere without being preachy, plus they save chops. Above all, have fun yourself!

4. Gary Schutza

Gary Schutza Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2007
    Kansas City
    I really believe that when we perform for an audience, be it at a recital or quintet performance or band concert, whatever, we need to think of ourselves as entertainers. I don't mean doing handstands and acrobatics, but the audience should enjoy themselves. Try to program a few things that they will really enjoy. We all want to do recitals with Kennan and Hindemith, and these are great works, but also include some lighter fare and maybe a fun piece or two. If you have a trumpet player friend think about the Duet for Two Incomplete Trumpets (2nd valves removed) by Kevin McLaughlin or something like this. The audience will remember actually enjoying themselves, rather than being bored silly.

Just a thought.

chip schutza

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Etiquette can cover so many things!
    1) acknowledge your audience as long as they clap - do not sort sheet music when they pay their respects!
    2) When you march out, head high and proud - YOU are the soloist!
    3) If you get nervous, combat that with deep and steady breathing - not with ticks like dancing around or unnecessary valve movement, continual wiping of the lips.
    4) Many solos have measures of rest. You need to stay focussed during that time and not allow your mind and eyes to wander.
    5) Do not forget to acknowledge the organists/pianists efforts! They are a vital reason for the success of the recital!
    Your audience generally has as much fun during the recital as you do. That is a pretty good statement to guide your choice of pieces and behaviour during the performance!
    Good luck!