Comeback player...again

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by WyldeBill66, Mar 11, 2014.

1. WyldeBill66

WyldeBill66 Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2008
    Salinas,CA
    Well, I was a comeback player about 5 years ago. I started to get pretty decent. Surpassing my previous range when I was in high scool back in the early 80's. Then I bought a house and laid the horn down temporarily while I got everything squared away. That was almost 5 years ago, and I'm finally picking the horn back up. Pretty mad at myself for letting it lay there so long. Lip pretty much back to a beginner. Don't let yourself do this. I want to play with a big band, but I'm sure it will be months before I can even think of insulting someone with my attempts at playing. Hopefully I will keep my head out of my hind quarters and stick to it this time. Wish me luck

Bill

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But it will come back and we will be here for you along the way. Welcome to TM Bill!

3. WyldeBill66

Dec 13, 2008
    Salinas,CA
    It's been a long time since I've been here. I am a huge fan of Doc, and strive to play like him. hopefully I will get there...thank you Gmonady

4. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Insult away. Don't wait. Get back in it. You can go from worst player in the band to....well, non-terrible, anyway...in a matter of months.

Joy don't require no ego gratification. Do it for the joy.

5. WyldeBill66

Dec 13, 2008
    Salinas,CA
    I'm not going to wait...It's the one instrument I actually know how to play...smiles...I made pretty rapid progress last time, and I plan on doing it again...And not be painful to listen to...laughs...Thank you for the support guys. I'll try hard to get back to where I was and beyond. I love big band and jazz, and want to find a local band to at least have some fun with. Maybe even find some comeback players around here and start my own...thank you guys

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome back to the trumpet and TM! Best wishes to you going forward.

Jim

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Good luck, Bill! Have fun getting the chops in shape. If you care to, consider taking 3 months of lessons with someone you admire. These days you can take lessons over Skype.

8. WyldeBill66

Dec 13, 2008
    Salinas,CA
    I'd love to, but money prohibits that at this time...I have the Claude Gordon "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice" book. Played the first exercise today at lunch. My lips barely made it through...laughs...I am a little better than yesterday, and yesterday was better than the day before....One day at a time as they say...