Comeback player - having problems with tone around middle C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lucy 1980, May 16, 2015.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And you can live without your lover, but you cannot love without your liver.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wrong thread?

3. Lucy 1980

Lucy 1980 New Friend

May 7, 2015
    Hi all,

As I think back (not home yet to test the idea), I recall that this issue occurs most when beginning to play from about B or C in the staff, so you may well be right about now I set my embouchure. I will test this as advised, and let you know soon

4. Spideriffic

Spideriffic New Friend

Aug 16, 2009
    Plainview, NY
    It seems to me that if you have a playing issue that is not consistent, as you describe, then you can conclude that it is not due to the specific equipment that you are using. The human body is never exactly the same from day to day, and that includes your lip. Given the complexity of producing any note on the trumpet, and the hundreds of muscles involved, I think that it may take a long time to get your muscles to perform as you wish more consistently. No one knows for sure, but my prediction is that your sound will come together on all pitches over time. If you get a pleasant tone on most notes, then getting a good tone on the notes where it is lacking will happen over time, once you get all those muscles in balance.
    Good luck from a fellow comeback player.

5. Lucy 1980

Lucy 1980 New Friend

May 7, 2015
    Well, its one of those days when its not easy to play. I don't think I overdid it yesterday, but its a fine line when you're coming back I think.

I am getting a canker sore on the corner of my lip, so perhaps that part of the problem.

Anyhow, the double buzz is there today, much more so when I first play a B or C, but even coming up chromatically from E or F it's there, but not as noticeable.

I kept practice short, and within and below the staff. I will put in a bit more time later today again.

Lucy

6. Lucy 1980

Lucy 1980 New Friend

May 7, 2015
    Thank you all for you well wishes and support, by the way!:D

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Partially. :sorry:

8. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Hello Miss Lucy 1980.
    How long have you been back at playing? I think a common theme amongst comeback players seems to be we expect much more of our chops than they are capable of delivering. We remember, "I could hit a high C without a warm-up any day of the week when I was 17!" but reality then humbles us. Our lips don't recover as quickly and that one really good day where you end up playing for an extra 20 minutes because you're "in the zone" takes its toll the next day or two and your practice is rubbish.

This.^^^

9. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX

I had decided that either VB's intellectual wit had outdistanced my plebeian sense of humor, or else he was posting to the wrong thread.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Clearly, I will have to put a call into his pharmacy. It appears he ran out of his meds again.