comeback player seeking advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by smiletoastguy, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm now 74, and since July 2008 due to dental and health issues, presently unable to play, however from February 2006 to July 2008, I had a wonderful comeback after a near 45 year hiatus. Aside from whatever else you can acquire, I'll recommend you acquire an Arban's and though another will say you can download it FREE, such is not the same IMO.

Even though I'm satisfied with my ability, if I had access to a teacher and the monies to pay him/her I'd snatch such in a millisecond.

2. trumpetjump

trumpetjump New Friend

Mar 5, 2010
    PA
    It warms my heart to read the responses of the more mature comebackers because they are sage in their advice and very supportive, as well. This, in my opinion, is the most important and productive use of such a great forum! Congrats to all of you sensible old guys!
    I'm 51, quit playing for 30 years, and made the mistake of relying too much on high school memories as I got back into the game. DON'T make the same mistake! Try to remember what it was like as a beginner and procede cautiously. I basically wasted 5 months by overworking my lip and having to hit the restart button, but the lowered expectations and more realistic approach are starting to pay big dividends, especially in the warmth and fullness of my tone. The past 3 months have been very positive, although it didn't always seem that way when I was "in the moment".
    Take it slow and keep it low; worry mostly about getting a full, rich tone and look ahead to brighter days, maybe a year from now, when you'll be amazed at how far you've come. Most of all, enjoy the journey!

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Mate, another Comeback Player with doubts? You are in EXACTLY the right place. Play, find a tutor (maybe with your son), join a band if you can. Age is only a number after all - you'll get out what you put in. OK, enough of the platitudes - I say this to you, GO FOR IT but avoid the Lederhosen. (I am a comebacker with 37 years between gigs and I am having almost too much fun - nah, that's not true - I'm having an extended mid-life crisis but don't have the funds for a Ferrari). ;-)

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm 45 and quit for 7 yrs. I was always 2nd trumpet when I was younger. I'm back at it for 20 months - and am better than I ever was.
    2hr + practice every day.
    I concur with Jason -- long tones, and lip slurs. Also play softly. I use "fat lips" like a pucker type emboucher (small aperture so maybe your french horn days will pay off on trumpet) instead of the smile embouchere that was always taught in school. I would check out Keith Fiala on you tube
    the Cat Anderson Method also works pretty good for me (you can print that off from Roddy's trumpet page?)
    practice and enjoy -- and always be patient with the process -- it does take time and effort --- but the results are worth it