Comeback player, stages of development, and embrochure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Podzol, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Podzol

Podzol New Friend

May 16, 2011
    Central PA
    Very nice! Thanks. I love the picture and appreciate Kingtrumpet's ultimate sacrifice towards this awesome reply to my post.

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Re: Lip Bump?

Yes, Gary, my friend, I am getting this. You and VB are probably right. The two of you know way more trumpet stuff than I do. Blake, however, did a fine job of presenting his problem to us. One of his concerns that caught my attention was this:
    What Blake is experiencing may simply be a consequence of time off, and maybe his lip bump has no downside...but then again, perhaps there is something else.

Jim

3. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    Not to sound any alarm bells, but I can't say I ever experienced any white circle around my lips, even years ago when I was in hardcore mode practicing hours a day. Maybe you are using too much pressure? Or maybe it is something else... I wouldn't take the diagnosis of folks on a forum in lieu of a doctor.

4. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    gmonady?

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm reluctant, a doubting Thomas of sorts, to concur with Dr. Gmonady on the development of a callus on the lip being "the sign of a trumpet player". Really, I consider circumstances that thicken the skin as abuse. I've not one callus on my hands, to my wife's angst that they are softer than hers, because I wear work gloves when handling cardboard boxes or doing yard or constructive work, and not on the soles of my feet as I don't go around barefoot, or on my lips as I don't overdo playing brass instruments, and here again we can get a testament from my wife on my lip condition. Too, again this is a physiological variance, one person to another. Knowing the high energy style of GM's jazz performance, I could only wish there were technology to ascertain the mouthpiece pressure he puts forth ... but I am certain it is more than I utilize and more often. Too, I have more variance in mouthpieces than he uses, because I also play multi brass vis cornet, F mellophone, euphonium and sometimes tuba.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've a permanent "divot" (upper lip thinner over a slightly protruding tooth) acquired during High School, and hasn't bothered me at all over these last few decades. I don't believe there is any one style or specific type of exercise that could be considered a culprit.

7. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    Accepting him to be a doctor I would still think a physical visit would be more appropriate than an over the net description and diagnosis. Imagine how many people would misdiagnose a melanoma if it was always just down to a person describing what they thought it looked like and a doctor making a diagnosis based on their description and not actually seeing it.

And that also presupposed that a doctor on a forum is actually a doctor. While I am no medical doctor, online I could claim to be Marcus Welby MD. Would you really feel good about trusting an unknown person on the other side of a forum with your life?

8. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Pass. I would suggest addressing credibility doubts directly with gmonady.

P.S. Robert Young died in 1998, so you wouldn't get much mileage out of claiming to be Marcus Welby. ROFL

9. Podzol

Podzol New Friend

May 16, 2011
    Central PA
    If I died from a bad embouchure, I would be a willing sacrificial lamb to the betterment of brass players around the globe. Kingtrumpet and I would look down (or up) upon this fine world and hear the beautiful sound of correct horn playing and smile best we could with our lacerated/lesioned lips.

10. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I never questioned whether gmonady was a doctor or not. I simply stated that no one really has a clue who is who they truly claim to be on the internet. It was simply a reminder to the OP that a healthy dose of skepticism when using the internet might be helpful.