Comeback player, stages of development, and embrochure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Podzol, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    :soap: I got 99,600 hits on Google for "embrochure" :soap:

2. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    I doubt anyone has ever died from a bad embouchure, though the embarrassment of having to play in front of classmates while sounding like a cow giving birth might well cause a few to wish they were dead.

It would however be horrible if one were to ignore something on their lip only to find out it was some sort of tumor and you ended up unable to play anything short of a kazoo because you ignored what you believed to be a badge of honor.

3. Podzol

Podzol New Friend

May 16, 2011
    Central PA
    I did mention that I am self-taught. That includes spelling, I guess. I believe that I spelled it correctly in some less prominent places.

4. Podzol

Podzol New Friend

May 16, 2011
    Central PA
    I do agree, this would be horrible. The geometry of the ring on both lips is perfectly coincident with the mouthpiece. I suppose I could have two perfectly semicircular tumors that were aligned along the same center, which happened to be exactly where I put my mouthpiece. I wonder how William of Occam spelled embouchure? I think I have been playing more than usual and use more pressure than I'd like to admit.

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    "Osculum", possibly. "Embouchure" didn't enter the language until 400 years after William of Ockham.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Again, this is a normal reaction to individuals that play the trumpet A LOT. A lot is relative. I play several hours a day, EVERY day of the week and grueling 4 hour gigs on weekends. I have a mouthpiece tattoo as a result. Again, study the diagram of the lip and you will see why. That S layer is very thin in the mortal man... but in the Vulgano Brother and gmonady trumpet gods, it goes super mortal. If I took the cross section finger of Eric Clapton and compared it to Turtlejimmy's finger, you would see the same thing, i.e. human god versus turtle god. Seist du?

This is lip service provided by your medical consultant here on TM... Thag yu... Thag yu very much.

7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    That gets my personal vote for witty statement of the day. Hilarious! ROFL

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Was sort of wondering about this very thing, Blake. Temptation to do this is mighty strong, isn't it? In my brief (26 months) comeback experience, I've had to deal with the compelling urge to do too much too fast, especially where range is concerned, time and again. I suppose there are some folks that are "naturals" when it comes to endurance and range, but for me and perhaps others among us, to do it right simply takes time and intelligent practice. Hang in there!
    Jim

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Range and endurance (not accounting other factors) is inversely proportional to pressure.

More Pressure = Less range and endurance
    Less Pressure = More range and endurance

It works this way for me anyway......

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'd worry more about cuts from his useless shaver