Comeback Players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Sep 17, 2009.

1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    I too am a comeback player. I was one of the best trumpet players in the state in the late 70's.Then, when I graduated, I wanted to be a long hair rock and roll guitar player. So, for the next 30 years, thats what I did.Never touched the trumpet.I even had a personal invite from a college prof to be in the music program in 1979 and I BLEW IT!!! So, about a year ago, after getting laid off from my job of 10 1/2 years permanently, I took some of my 401k moolah, went and bought a new horn, and am playing trumpet again. Why? Because for 2 reasons-the first being my love for music, and 2-for my re-kindled love for the trumpet.Now, will I ever be as good as I was 30 years ago? Yes, if I work my *ss off, but if not, its still a pleasure to be playing the trumpet again, and since everyone and their brother plays guitar nowadays, I can get jobs playing and be the only horn player ther(I love that!) Plus, it brings back fond memories of years ago!!:play:

2. comeback_honker

comeback_honker New Friend

Sep 9, 2009
    For me it's simple: After 25 years of working dominating my life, I wanted some artistic balance in my life.

I don't ask a professional musician who creates a simple web site to promote himself if he's going to become a computer professional.

It's OK to do something for fun, and not have a "grand plan" for it ... in fact its' better that way imo.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The comeback part has been adequately commented as well as why someone who loves trumpet would return to it after a long break.

The chance of a comeback player becoming a "virtuoso" is not very likely. Those things that make a world class player are generally learned young and through many years of playing perfected and stabilized. This does not mean that a comeback player will/can not reach an advanced stage. It just means that they would have to make an incredible amount of space in their lives to be able to perfect their playing to virtuoso level as I understand it.

Another factor, just for the record, I believe that virtuosos are born and not made. They need an innate talent that goes far beyond what a normal person can comprehend. In addition, they need the gift of devotion and an environment where those talents can flourish.

Intelligent practice and a good teacher can get us pretty far. Anything more than that needs special circumstances.

4. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I came back after 30 years of silence....why? Because I just couldn't stand not playing trumpet anymore.....that and I my bass playing boss tossed a copy of TOP on my desk and said, "here, you're a trumpet player, learn this". Ever meet a Trumpet Player that wouldn't accept a challenge like that? :shock: Hey....I'm Still a Young Man! :roll:

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Amen. I agree completely.

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Some definitions might be appropriate here:

1) Player:

a) a (usually) male person who likes to use and take
    advantage of a woman and her money. After a while
    the player always leaves the woman for a new one.

b) a (usually) male person who plays an instrument.
    Females as players are rare since they instead often
    choose to blow or suck on things with names like
    "clarinet", "flute" etc.

2) Comebackplayer:

a) a (usually) male person who after leaving a woman
    finds that noone else wants him. He usually then returns
    to the first woman.

b) a (usually) male person who after having been scarred
    off by a band leader or the high notes in the sheet music
    finally decides to return to the stand.

c) In rare cases the person running also leaves his instrument
    behind. His fear is then so big that it often takes 5 - 30 years
    before he returns to get it. This c) type is often seen posting
    in Trumpet Master.

7. youwhoboohoo

youwhoboohoo New Friend

Sep 20, 2009
    Long Beach, CA
    I'm John, I'm a comeback player....
    I tried a comeback 10 years ago but it didn't work out, it's been 20 years since I've really played and was serious about it.
    So I'm back!!

8. youwhoboohoo

youwhoboohoo New Friend

Sep 20, 2009
    Long Beach, CA
    haha...sounds familiar!!!

9. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Hi John!

10. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    Rowuk, then how about a virtuoso who, for whatever reason(s), gave up his/her instrument for many years, but who is now a comeback player? I wonder how far s/he could go with their innate musical ability, but years of musical inactivity?