Comeback Players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Sep 17, 2009.

1. heulwen

heulwen New Friend

Apr 20, 2009
    Ipswich, UK

I'm glad that you clarified that with (usually) male. As a female player I think you'll find that no-one can scare me! In fact, I reckon I've scared more of you blokes away if anything.... :lol:

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Oh, that´s a fact now is it!?!?!?

Try me baby!!:cool:

3. heulwen

heulwen New Friend

Apr 20, 2009
    Ipswich, UK
    I wouldn't want to cause any lasting damage. After all, you wouldn't want to be one of those comeback players that leaves the trumpet behind and everything else would you?!:-P

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    FAT CHANCE!!

In case you´ve missed it; I´m from SWEDEN!!:cool:

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I would assume, based on Rowuk's hypothesis, that a true virtuoso would have so much drive and dedication that they could no more abandon their music than an alcoholic could their booze. Of course, there could be external influences - illness or injury - that might prevent playing for some period but it would seem that once they return to playing, the old skills would return with the same level of practice they had before, assuming that their condition (e.g., a debilitating injury) did not destroy their innate talent or ability.

But, that is just my assumption. Perhaps this is the forum to discover some real-life examples. Is anyone here a returning virtuoso or does anyone know of an example of that?

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    After Rafael Mendez's debilitating injury and severe lip infection the 30s, after 6 (!) operations he was barely able to make a sound on the trumpet. The infections refused to clear up completely and nothing he did worked nor could any famous teacher help him.
    Finally, back in Mexico, a doctor told him he could cure the chronic infections, but could not guarantee he would be able to play the trumpet again. How's that for a choice?!?
    The Mexican doctor literally burned the abcess off his upper lip and the hole in his upper lip did heal, but the area was numb and he could not play anything at all.
    After nine months, he was able to begin relearning to play again and began learning to use many different embouchures which led to his incredible endurance.
    The ITG article this is from does not mention the total time he was unable to perform, but I remember reading elsewhere the total time was more than 2 years. After this incredible injury, Mendez was always wary of playing in the extreme high register as he felt it was not as secure as it was before this nearly career ending injury.
    Had he not been born with the remarkable talent and necessary drive, he would not have been able to overcome the debilitating injury and become the legend he is.
    As Rowuk said, the really great virtuosos are born with something special and let nothing get in their way.
    Rich T.

7. oljackboy

oljackboy Pianissimo User

Feb 26, 2009
    Falls Church, Virginia
    Chet Baker suffered from terrible dental problems, finally losing so many teeth that he had to get dentures. (No, the rumor about getting his teeth knocked out in some drug deal gone bad is not true.) People that knew him said that it took over two years for him to re-learn the trumpet with his new false teeth. Again, I'm slightly uncomfortable with the term 'virtuoso' as applies to a jazz player - particularly one like Chet Baker. He came back and was a better player than before.

8. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I am a COMEBACK player of with 20 + years off of playing I started at about 18 years old and my family and so called friends were of NO encouragement, the kid next door who I grow up with always made jokes ad fun of my playing ,my Aunt who I lived with never told me that I was any good BUT she told me not to play when her grandchidren of one to two years old had to have their nap ....so I could not practise NO one ever helped me so I got discourged and gave it up ,now at 58 years old I picked it up again and I play every single day my wife encourages me and I love playing I really really missed it and I am going to learn how to play it the very best that I can . Good luck to all comeback players :play:

9. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    But it is possible to become a virtuoso player IF one practiced and made the time to play /practice everyday there is a slight chance ,Anthony virtuoso want to be

10. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    My personal "ComeBack" experience:

After performing, the audience yells and screams, "Come Back! Come Back"!
    So, next week you come back, ...... and this time, the audience is prepared with baskets of over-ripe tomatoes!

Then, the yells and screams become, "Duck, You Sucker!"

The acid in the tomato juice won't harm lacquer, or gold, but, silver must be rinsed immediately.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009