Comeback Players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Sep 17, 2009.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Folks, let get real. If you haven't played in 20 or 30 years or you start playing in your 40s or 50s you can practice your rear end off but if the gift of extraordinary natural talent is not there, you will never be anything but a competant player. Let us not forget that the trumpet is, of course, a very physically demanding instrument and after 50 or so, the body just can't do what it used to. Sure, there are exceptions like Doc, Maynard, and Bud, but deterioration, no matter how slow, begins around this age. Without the knowledge gleaned in years of performance and the experience as to how to compensate for the deterioration, it will likely be impossible to ever achieve anything other than very decent performance. If one had that rare touch of greatness within, it is unlikely it wouldn't have tapped into years earlier.
    As others have said, with hard work, one can still become a good player and have fun doing so.
    Rich T

2. progmac

progmac Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2009
    If "extraordinary natural talent" is the requirement -- why should the fact that a player is 40 or 50 have anything to do with it? Your reasoning would say that no one of any age can become a virtuoso unless he or she has this "extraordinary natural talent" that you speak of.

In my opinion, people who don't work hard enough talk about "extraordinary natural talent" in order to justify to themselves why they aren't better. Maybe this isn't true but in any case, this line of reasoning has nothing to do with age and it isn't the topic being discussed.

3. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    I'll add my "come back" story:

I played trumpet in middle school & high school in the 1970s and 80s, private lessons etc. I also played bass in a reggae band. Actually, I remember one show where we played a tune that I started on flugelhorn, then reverted to bass...

I played a bit of trumpet in my medical school's annual show. Then internship, residency, marriage, fellowship, child 1, masters degree 1, child 2, masters degree 2. By the early 2000s, I felt like David Byrne sang in "Once in a Lifetime", living in the 'burbs, working too hard. While doing some spring cleaning I found my Bach 5C mouthpiece. I picked up a Bach TR300 off ebay for $60 and started playing, but it didn't take: I was invited to a friend's home music night, but was "discouraged" from bringing my horn... So I brought my bass.

I met a drummer there, and he played in a local jazz group that needed a bassist. So I've been playing jazz bass guitar in a group with 5-6 other guys for about 7 years, recently taking lessons with a Berklee prof. Pining for a double bass, but too many impracticalities. BUT... my love of jazz has grown exponentially, and there's my $60 horn... so now I'm inching back. Don't want to short change the bass though! Thanks for reading this far...

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    If this were the case then none of us would ever learn to drive - I have seen lady lawn bowlers wearing hats and "driving" Volvos - well, sort of .... :oops:

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    So near and yet so far!!! Was this a tea garden music night? Who would discourage bringing a trumpet? But, coming to the present - with your list of accomplishments, it doesn't sound like you would need to short change the bass in order to come back to the trumpet. Just practice while you're on the potty - that's true multi-tasking. Since you have a jazz background, just think of the possibilities... Would we have ever heard of Maynard if he had played the bass?

6. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    It was a friend who is professional folk/country musician, hosting a music night at her home. I suppose she didn't think many of the guests would appreciate a trumpet... Based on how I was playing at the time, I can't say I blame her!

Thanks! I take out my horn to jam with my kids, who play piano and alto sax. I use that time to play some long tones within standards, like Blue Trane, Giant Steps, The Sidewinder, Well You Needn't, So What etc.. practicing like Maynard suggested (long tones within melodies rather than scales), while spending some good time with the kids.

Most likely! If there's one thing I've learned from dabbling in several instruments, it's that if the music is in you, it will come out any way you let it. The instrument is more of a barrier than a vehicle. Bela Fleck's bassist, Victor Wooten has some great philosophy all about that.

7. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I use a Monette chair. It lets me play a triple-high Q!