Comeback Practice Regimen

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hohum, May 9, 2011.

1. hohum

hohum New Friend

May 3, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Hi All,
    I am curious what practice regimen folks use as comeback players. I plan on working through my Arbans excercises but haven't thought much beyond that.

What I notice coming back is that my tone has not suffered as much as I had expected, but my range and articulation have. Simple things like fingerings still fall easily without thought.

What are other folks doing to get their chops back?

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Arbans, Clarke, & Schlossberg + etudes and woodshedding band parts.

3. hohum

hohum New Friend

May 3, 2011
    Cincinnati
    What I was most amazed with is that even 14 years later there is no thought process in fingerings and I can sight read quite easily, that still comes automatically - like riding a bike as they say...

I'd love to get involved in a band around here, but honestly I don't even know where to look.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you can afford it, find a competent teacher. I like " Trumpet Warm-Ups" by Walter Moeck. It has all you need for a good start to your practice.:thumbsup:

5. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    14 years? That's a short rest. :lol:

I stopped playing 30 years ago, staged an aborted 2 month comeback 10 years ago and this time it's for real. I'm 6 months into it.

I'm finding it very much as you are. Tone is OK, but range and stamina are most definitely not OK. At first, I had trouble reaching 4th space E, on the stave, regularly and cleanly. Now I can squeak out a Bb above the stave if I run up to it in a scale or arpeggio. Still a lot of work to do though. It's taken a long time to get to the stage of having enough lip condition to be able to practise enough.

I've been using Ken Saul's free downloads for warm-up etc.
    Free Trumpet Music :: Ultra-Pure Oils

Hymns are good for melodic practise.

What level were you at when you stopped?

Also finding several short sessions works better than trying to fit it all in at once.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  6. hohum

hohum New Friend

May 3, 2011
    Cincinnati
    I can still hit a high C but man it does not sound good. Stamina is somewhat lacking but not as bad as I had expected. I am really liking my BURP for buzzing practice (something I used to do quite regularly).

When I stopped playing was right after college. I was initially a trumpet performance major in college but switched to computer science. Was accepted to Boston Conservatory for music performance, but ended up attending Boston University for performance. Then, I realized I wanted to make a better living and this was internet boom time, so there you go... Even though I switched majors, I continued to perform with university ensembles throughout college.

7. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    You must have been pretty good then. I got up to grade V (UK) and quit aged 13. Now I'm early 40s. Top C was about as high as I could ever go back then. It would be nice to be able to hit G and A cleanly and with less effort. I can't really see me needing much higher than that. :D

8. Mambo King

Mambo King Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2009
    London
    I've been finding Patrick Hession's book "Hession's Sessions" very useful along with Stamp warm ups and the Vizzutti books.

Having been back at it for nearly 2 years now after a hiatus of 25 years I've found that the sheer amount of information can be confusing and overwhelming but I've boiled it down to a few key points:

PATIENCE
    low, slow and long
    PATIENCE
    rest frequently, never abuse tired chops
    PATIENCE
    proper breathing is the key
    PATIENCE
    there are better players than me and there are worse players than me, I can only be me
    PATIENCE
    if I try to make a beautiful, musical sound, it's much more satisfying than sounding like a herniated pig missing a double top C

There is so much more than this to learn, but it's a start. Enjoy.

9. hohum

hohum New Friend

May 3, 2011
    Cincinnati
    I love the last one. I must admit I've never heard a herniated pig, but I can imagine thats about right for how I'd sound :lol:

Frankly, there is very little music I care to play that does much above high C, so I am good there, now I just need to get the tone back on the higher notes.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Cat Anderson, Keith Fiala -- long tones, light pressure (these should help) - Im a comebacker 7 years off - took 6 months until I could get a few hours of practice time to be consistent.
    I do Arbans occasionally - but mostly long tones -- my perspective is not pro, but merely enjoyment and playing in church or a community band --- OH and a consistent sound from pedal tones to the Double HIgh C+ -- just for fun anyhow.
    in a 3 hour practice - I rest almost equal to the amount of playing time