Comeback Practice Regimen

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hohum, May 9, 2011.

1. jeeper31

jeeper31 New Friend

Jan 18, 2011
    This is all great stuff. I played in a wedding band (Polkas) for a few months after high school. I think we played 2 weddings. I haven't played in about 27 years and hooked up with a rock band a few months ago. We have already done 4 gigs and more are on the calendar. I am having a blast but my stamina is not what it used to be. I am in need of chops and quickly. Any more advice is greatly appreciated.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Patience is the best advice...

Strength and endurance will only return when you put in your face time. Like a runner training for a marathon after a long layoff... you have to get some miles back into your legs.

I use long tones, clarke technical studies, irons, stamp... I can't play any songs, just exercises!

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have some pretty standard warm-ups... the I do one octave arpeggios starting on lowF# ..when I reach the first space F# I go back down and do 2 octave arpeggios.
    I then do major scales from F# ... single tongue then double tongue... when I reach the first space F# I go back down and do two octave scales..same routine ..single then double tongue.
    I also like Pg 125 of the Arban's
    Then Clarke's Characteristic studies.. one per week
    I have some play along cd's I use..sometimes Haydn, or MOzart and also some jazz ones so I can solo with.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Most of us are in need of chops. Only those who can accept to drop the "quickly" part have a good chance to get them. There is no short cut.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    +1

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I haven't played my trumpet in public for 20 years... this Saturday I am playing with a group called " The Pay It Forward Band" ... basically quality music performing at VA hospitals and nursing homes for free.
    They are trying to go international ... here is there website
    .: The Pay it Forward Band :.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    VERY well said! " I need patience, and I need it NOW"! is one of my favorite quotes. :D

8. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Very cool! Sounds like a worthy gig for your return! Be sure to tell us how it goes.

9. jeeper31

jeeper31 New Friend

Jan 18, 2011
    Irons? Stamps? what are these?

I totally understand there is no short cut or miracle and it takes practice practice practice. I just meant the gigs aren't waiting for me so the sooner the better.

Has anybody tried that PETE - Personal Embouchure Training Exerciser?

Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    PETE will only work if used. I would do mpc buzzing (you already have one), and the pencil exercise (you probably have one of these too!). You should establish a routine before you look at "other things" that cost money to build your chops. Of course, I'm just cheap too! :D