Comeback trumpeter after 9yrs off

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Dec 24, 2008.

1. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I joined the church band, and my endurance is horrible. I've been practicing for about 3wks now, trying to fit at least 4 practices per week into my hectic schedule.

My problem is not only my chops but my lungs. I start out fine, but before the end of the song I get really shaky and it sounds horrible. I start to feel out of breath, as if holding my breath for too long, and that adds to the trouble. Combine that with my wilting chops and I end up just sitting out for a verse here and there (which is a pain since I'm the sole brass in the group).

I know I just need to practice practice practice. I've been running through each song multiple times with little rest in between.

Any particular exercises, books, or tricks to help me with my particular problem?

Thanks!

Tim

2. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Hey Weeze,Merry Christmas and Happy holidays.After a 9yr. layoff its going to take more than a few weeks of practice to get back in shape.Make sure your hitting all aspects of playing in your practice routine,long tones,lip flexibilities,single and multi tongue,etudes and maybe transpositions of your favorite artist to make things fun.Monitor your weaknesses and strengths and adjust your time accordingly without neglecting fundamentals.Some good books are Arbans (of course) Herbert Clark technical studies,lip flexibilities by Walter Smith, Trumpet studies by Mel Broiles, and hundreds more.But for now the Arbans has if all.Just enjoy your comeback at a nice steady pace,don"t be in a hurry to see drastic results.The more QUALITY time you put into it the quicker you should see results.With a screen name "THE WEEZE" you better put some extra practice time in LOL.Good luck,enjoy your playing as well as T.M.

3. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Tim: Welcome to TM. I took 27 years off, so 9 years seems like just a long lunch break ;-)

Seriously, it is going ot take some time to get back to where you were, so be patient and pace yourself. Whatever else, enjoy your comeback :play:

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tim,
    you need to be patient with yourself! Building chops takes months! The second thing is not getting yourself into a situation where you beat your chops up. Play until you are comfortably tired then take a break. DO NOT KEEP GOING. You will just tear down the muscles and have to take a couple of days off to recover!

It is good practice to get people used to the idea that trumpet players do not play all 10 verses of a hymn. Pick out the ones that have to do with beauty, power and majesty. Leave the ones that have to do with the poor, downtrodded and meek for the woodwinds. You heighten the theological expression and bring the congregation closer to the TRUE meaning!

5. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I really appriciate it.

Hey here's a question: In college I mostly played with a Warburton 6SV with a B6 backbore. I know little to nothing about mouthpieces, but it was given/recommended to me by the trumpet instructor / band director in college. Of course I was playing a lot of jazz and pep band music at the time.

I don't really know how to decide which is the best mouthpiece for me now. I.e. if I try different ones, what are the criteria? I have on-hand that Warburton, and Bach 7C, 3C and 1.5C mouthpieces.

6. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've found it's fairly economical to experiment with Warburton mp configurations by shopping on e-bay. If I buy a cup or backbore that doesn't work for me I just put it back on the market and use that money to try something else. Of course, you could go to a music store too, but I like looking for deals :lol:

7. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    deleted

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  8. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome to the "Comeback Club". I picked up the trumpet again after 25 years and have been slowly getting back to where I once was after 10 months. My practice routine consists of 30 minutes in the morning, 30 minutes in the afternoon and 30 to 45 minutes in the evening if available.

Lots of Long Tones, Slurs, All of the Major Scales (rememorization), Etudes, etc. all of which are in Arbans. As stated above, if you feel tired, REST! Don't over do it. Have fun and enjoy the comeback trail.

9. rocky11

rocky11 New Friend

Dec 25, 2008
    Pa
    Any of you COMEBACK guys seen videos or really good descriptions around proper use of AIR ? Now a comeback player, all the research I have done suggests I never was really taught the correct way to play many years ago as I was used to "arming" my way up to notes above the scale. I keep reading about the importance of AIR for range and endurance but I am a little confused about some of the descriptions about abdominal muscles, arching the tongue etc. A video demo on these would be just right.....any suggestions ?????

10. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Thanks guys, I will try resting more. As a weightlifter I have a mindset of a workout that is full-blast, 100% intensity until you can't do any more. I need to get that out of my head when practicing and save that for the gym.