Comeback trumpeter , hand / wrist pain

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Milby, Jan 30, 2013.

1. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    By all means, see a Dr., since the right hand shouldn't be getting that much tension. Try some hand and wrist stretches, too, as they will help alleviate the tensions from typing a lot. Oddly enough, all of my martial arts students who spend a lot of time on the computer let out huge groans of relief when we do our wrist stretches during warm-ups. Best of luck to you. I know that pain is a horrible distraction when you're trying to play and it's no fun when you're in pain from trying to play. You should be able to google the information on wrist and hand stretching. Try googling Aikido wrist stretches if not.

2. jalcala

jalcala New Friend

Mar 22, 2013
    Durham,NC
    Since your pain seems to to unilateral, I also would guess CTS. If pain is on both sides, look into rheumatoid arthritis. I was diagnosed right before I turned 50. I was having trouble tying my tie and holding on to tennis racquet. Got tennis elbow for the first time ever. Pressing trumpet valves also hurt. Even my left hand holding the trumpet hurt. My tendons always felt tight. I always thought I just had bad feet. Your MD can do simple blood tests ( rheumatoid factor and anti-CCP if RF positive) to diagnose you. RA mostly affects the small joints of hands and feet. Hope it is CTS for your sake because methotrexate shots are no fun- you feel bad before you feel good. Wrist splints help, especially at night if you are a wrist curler when you sleep.

3. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I get that on occasion. Primarily neuropathy complications from Porphyria, my Parent's gift to me. Along with tachycardia, osteo-arthritis and focal plane disturbances. Gabapentin helps enormously.