Comeback week 1

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Dec 24, 2012.

1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't think I will be able to keep up with posting my daily practice and it would probably get boring. But I'm a writer for my day job and I'm currently obsessed, so here goes.

Today i the horn! I cleaned it, lubed it, posted pictures of it, then had my first session in four years. I played some long notes, some scales, and a couple easy Christmas carols. In about 10 minutes I was tired.

We went out to lunch and then a movie. I came back and repeated session 1 for 10 more minutes. That's it so far. So much fun!

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Do you know what that is? .... You've reached the 1st plateau - the 10 min one - that's your 1st measure of progress :bravo:.

Oh, fortnightly reports will be sufficient - when the excitement dies down. Post if you think we can help.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Great! Make it 15 minutes by the end of the week, twice a day. The boys alternate 20 minutes playing, twenty mnutes resting, 20 minutes playing for their hour session. I discuss and demonstrate while they are resting.

I'd like to read that you're on the same scheduled regimen within 6 months. Playing time I call "lip time" and is all that I daily put in my journal and the boys record on the forms I provide them of their at home practice. With all my issues, I now alternate lip time of 30 minutes with 15 minutes rest, the latter when I often listen to what I've played ... but not always.

If you smoke QUIT!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It is great to hear that your comeback has begun, Misty. Best wishes as you continue!
    Jim

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Misty, only four years off? You'l be back in fine form in no time. Did you quit when you graduated school? If so, you are still quite young and it will be easy to get back to where you were then. The trick is to build on that and become the player that others respect. You can call yourself a musician, but the true test is when others call you a musician.

Playing by yourself is a fine start, but make it fun so that you can stay motivated. I have one suggestion, find a group that you can join in with. Its more fun/scarry/challenging/opportunity opening/growth motivating/friend making...that way. It makes no difference if you feel in over your head at first, just dont give up after one practice session with them. I suspect that the others in the band will remember their beginnings or comebacks and give you tons of support. You may find that fuel to keep your comeback spark glowing brightly.

Im curious, what was it that started you playing again? All of us comebackers here would like to hear about it.

6. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi Larry! This is actually my second come-back. The first time was in 2008 and I found a small band to play with. They begged me to switch to horn to fill a shortage so I did. I've got more experience on horn and it is gorgeous, but trumpet is my first love. Anyway we moved from the US to Australia in 2009 and I sold my (very cheap) trumpet and spent a few years busy living life. Picked up the ukulele then the guitar. My husband plays double bass and I realized I miss playing jazz but I will be Ed get the jazz chords on guitar. So I got the itch and started ebaying!

I skipped playing yesterday because I had a ridiculous amount of wine and half the day is a blur. :) I've done one 15-minute session today, so far. I haven't been pushing it as far as range but have played from the low f# up to the fourth line D, so far. Taking it easy.

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I just ordered Arban, Rubank 1-3, and a music minus one for easy swing tunes. Other TM members have been very kind in sending me even more to play with as well. I'd like to go on like this for a couple months and then join a local all-comers band, once I feel able to do a full rehearsal.

8. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    My dad gave me a copy of Schlossberg along with the YSB I'd been asking for as a Christmas gift. That, along with the copy Lip Flexibility (Smith), runs me out of excuses...

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Misty, youve got a lot of work there. Keep it fun. Best wishes.

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks Larry! I just spent my shower lip-buzzing Silent Night. Didn't do too badly but my chops are tuckered out!