Comeback week 1

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If we add one minute a day to our practice, that will bring us to six hours in less than a year. If we add a half tone to our range each month it equals another octave after one year. Diminishing returns in reality, but an attainable goal nevertheless.

2. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  3. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I suppose I'm in week 2 now. Muscles can't develop much in a week with only 20-30 minutes of practice a day, but the buzz is improving and my lips are remembering things. My "real trumpet music" has not yet arrived, so I've been working on buzzing, scales, small lip slurs, and playing melodies from the guitar and ukulele music I have. When I get tired I play the same song on uke or guitar and when I feel ready I play the melody again on the trumpet.

I'm happy with how much of the range I have kept. I'm not pushing it and I'm keeping the pressure low. But I've been down to the low f# and I've been up to the A above the staff. I'm mostly staying between the C below the staff and the E at the top, for now. I'm not worried about getting high or loud right now.

I want to find a local group to play with but it looks like I may need to acquire a cornet because Australian brass bands seem to adhere to the British traditions. So it may be a month or two. I'm paying attention to the other current cornet purchase advice thread.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Keep the joy, take a day off from time to time to kill spiders and such.

Keep us posted.

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thoughtful

It appears to me that you are taking a thoughtful self-guided approach to your comeback, Misty. Are you incorporating long tones into your routine too? This has been helpful to me as I have worked to rebuild tone quality, endurance, dynamics control, and range.

It is too bad you are having difficulty finding local groups where you can use your trumpet. Are there opportunities to cultivate a musical network of your own there? I reached out to another local trumpeter here. We have met and discussed forming a rehearsal group that would meet once a month or so.

Keep it fun!

Jim

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You could try the Brass blokes at the Australian Academy of Music at Spring Hill and see if they know of Bands in your immediate area. They've always been very willing to let me try instruments and mouthpieces when I'm in town - I've even bought stuff from them.

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Misty,

Very sensible. In tune, in time, great sound. Those whole and half notes are handy to brush up on our subdividing. Gives the mind something useful to do that comes in handy later while song and wind are doing its thing on those wholes and halfs.

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Misty. It sounds like you are in good hands here on TM. There are lots of very helpful/lonely/socially mal-adjusted/trumpet players here that have lots of friendly advice to help you on your one true comeback to trumpet. Of course it does help that you are a pretty girl that has been known to have a "rediculous amount of wine" and lip-buzzes while in the shower, Silent Night. Oh MY...is it getting warm in here? Best wishes...ah..in a non-sexual way.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Misty. I think my last post may have crossed over the line a bit. Sorry. Best wishes.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Lip buzzing in the shower, now that's dedication:roll::lol::oops: