Comeback week 1

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Dec 24, 2012.

1. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    On the other hand, no matter at which point you fall within the scale, you're always in good company.

Some things you learn because you find them really interesting. Other things happen just because they're staring at you in the face for day after endless work day.

Weren't we talking about playing the trumpet at some point in this thread? Ah, well, digression is the soul of wit, as Ray Bradbury put it.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes, You are correct Binary, I suspect Misty is just finishing off the week's practice before she reports her progress to us.

3. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm confused. :( but I can't play anything in my jazz play-along book except a moonlight Serenade yet. So many accidentals! Also when did the notes get so small?

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Not sure about the nature of your difficulty with small notes, Misty, but as a 60 year old with trifocals something happened recently that made seeing notes easier. I got a sturdy Manhasset music stand (Christmas gift from wife) along with a matching Manhasset stand light (Christmas gift from a son and daughter-in-law). Seeing my music is easier now.
    Jim

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    More psuedoscience: the notes are smaller because you are still far away from your goal!

Real life experience: I used to give Christmas Carols in easy keys to my younger students around Christmas time, and add harder keys for the more advanced students . (Playing Jingle Bells in B# can be humbling, especially with enharmonics thrown in [pause for maniacal laughter].) I discovered that when trying to save paper by using a smaller font, my students played more softly. Not weird exactly, but interesting.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Misty, I've recently rendered all our Band's March Packs into as big a font as will fit on the page for the same reasons - and bright illumination is the key to aging eyes - Comeback is absolutely correct - I always have a stand light in my case - in case.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Try handing out this version Vulgano Brother. This will really mess with their minds. [It's modal... Play with a "Miles" feel]
    [​IMG]

8. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Okay, that's just maniacal. However, next time you need to do something with accidentals and plot it in a key intended to result in double sharps.

Afterthought: come to think of it, unless that arrangement is under some sort of copyright, I'd welcome the challenge to transcribe it to Lilypond (I'm loving learning this music writing method).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  9. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    I took a little 45 year break from playing. My wife was a difficult sort of woman and after she died I went back to playing (in more ways than one.).
    I will say that I think much of the modern stuff for which big bucks are charged is nonsense. Hor example the head joints on flutes can run a couple of thousand dollars and really you either have the skills to machine that piece or you do not. Oddly flutes and trumpets have much in common. Flutes exist in brass, sterling silver, ceramics, plastics and wood, and even in gold and all platinum. Flutes exist with conical bores or straight bores as the same stuff exists between cornets and trumpets. And new flutes exist for under $100 all the way past $10,000. Really it is mostly nonsense. The cheapest flutes probably should not be sold but once one gets up past about $400. I consider it mostly advertising and not particularly related to quality. Think about it. If you own a good King trumpet you really don't need the company any more. Unless you get unlucky and your horn is somehow lost the only way to sell you over and over again is to have a new and supposedly improved product. Since companies exist to stay in business they will always claim to have a new and improved product. That simply does not work over time.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So... Are you suggesting I should be on psych meds? Isn't being married to a psychiatrist good enough???

It is not under copyright... It is just madness that come to me... off meds... about 2 Christmas's ago... so our band tends to play this at Christmas time. But have at it frog boy... Get on your Lilypond and produce me a nice tiddy copy... And go ahead... Rrrrrrrrrriiiibbbbbbbbbb it in... Rrrrrrrrrriiiibbbbbbbbbb it in.