Comeback Xmas church outing & question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Glennx, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Last night was my first time playing non-jazz music since my comeback 18 months ago after almost 35 years, volunteering to play the Christmas eve mass
    with choir & organ at a very large & prominent Catholic church just for the fun and experience, and to give something back to the community. Happily, it went quite well before a full house. And despite making a darn good try, I also learned that no matter how hard ya try there's really no way to compete with a Cassavant pipe organ! :shock:

So with that under my belt, I'm now considering what I could play for an Easter service! Anyone have any recommendations regarding pieces for B-flat trumpet, SATB choir and piano? (they need not be limited to music suitable only in a Catholic church, by the way)

Thanks!

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    There is a book, I think, "from humility to hallelujah"

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Amazing Grace, The Old Rugged Cross are the first songs that come to mind --- most of them are in the hymnals, and good songs with the appropriate message of Christ's death, resurrection and grace to forgive us.

4. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Some hymnal publishers also have arrangements for instruments. You can also write your own descant part. Or transpose right from a hymnal. The tenor part sometimes makes a pretty good trumpet part, played an octave higher.