Comebacker Progress- Expectations?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AZ_Brad, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY

Crow,

Here's the Scientific Notation Chart I used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation

All the Best,

Richard

2. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Richard, Thanks for leading me to the Scientific Pitch Chart. If I'm reading it correctly your "owning" some pretty high notes. I think I hit some of those babies for a second before the dizziness set in....tom

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A 3C is not a bad start for "coming back". It is big enough to get a reasonably big sound, not so big that range is a serious issue, and not so radical that getting used to it would be a problem. It has a cup that is deep enough for swollen chops, so even when your face is beaten up, sound still comes out.

Whether or not ANY mouthpiece is for eternity, I have my doubts. This does not mean search for the holy grail, it means keep an open mind, analyse your playing from time to time and if you see an opportunity take it. If you want to play lead in a big band, a smaller (or shallower) mouthpiece would probably not be a bad consideration. If the solo trumpet position in the Philadelphia orchestra opens up, the 3C probably would not give the size of sound expected.........

Once your playing has become "predictable" and reasonably "consistent" it is possible to talk about the options - which are not necessarily new hardware!

4. AZ_Brad

AZ_Brad New Friend

Jan 18, 2007
    Peoria, AZ
    rowuk,
    Your comment about playing with swollen chops made me laugh! I over did it last night, and the 3c let me continue on with swollen lips. Also, you comment on the sound is true. My sound is really not too bad for a newby.