Comebacker

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turbomacncheese, Dec 24, 2012.

1. turbomacncheese

turbomacncheese New Friend

Nov 6, 2012
    Just wanted to officially say "hello." Played from the 4th grade through senior year, then worked too danged much to play. Now that I don't work so much (15 years later) I'm back on it. Still have my Arban's and picked up a Jupiter for the kids (4 and 5) who keep wanting me to hand over the Strad (although, I have to admit the 5 year old has some pretty good lips for it!).

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM! Many comebackers here.
    Jim

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Yes, many comebackers indeed. I am one myself, having taken a very planned hiatus from the trumpet. Progress is certainly possible!

4. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Indeed. After 20 years I picked up the horn, attempted to play a Jabbo Smith solo and not only did the notes Come back to me, ( not in the order I would have wished) but so did my wife's tepid encouragement. " Could you play in the toolshed from now on?"

5. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    Welcome...and you have chosen a great user name.:D

I too am a comeback player and can say the people at this site are very supportive and helpful.

I quit for 35 years after high school then tried picking it up again a few times. This time it is sticking but it is more more of a do over than a comeback. I attribute this to an interest in the vintage horns I wanted to play when younger but could not afford....and to the active group here that like to talk about and play the vintage equipment.

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Welcome to TM, and best of luck with your comeback.

7. turbomacncheese

Nov 6, 2012
    Thanks for the welcomes!! I didn't see the other section for introductions, where this probably belongs. Sorry for that! I'm making some progress using the warmup I learned in high-school (lots of slurring, flexibility, and longer tones). I used to know Arban's Characteristic #9 cold, and I can get through it again, though not as quickly as I used to and not without dropping about a half dozen notes. My range seems to be taking its time building back up, though. I've switched back to my 1C mouthpiece (still had the 1.5) because I couldn't do SQUAT with intervals, but my range and endurance took a hit. I remember them being not TOO bad to build, though. Just patience and time. There closest community bands are about 35-40 minutes away, but I haven't found out too much about them. Do they tend to be selective and competitive?

8. turbomacncheese

Nov 6, 2012
    Just in case anyone comes reading this, I got a metronome app for my phone, and ran through that Arban's. LOL, I was cheating my tempo kind of a lot, and when I forced myself to play at 124, I dropped a lot more than a half dozen notes!! My endurance is up, though, happily!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Welcome to TM where my phylosophy has evolved to ...then played too danged much to work.