Comebackers - Is your favorite music really your best?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rdt1959, Dec 22, 2008.

1. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    After a year off lessons (had to quit due to wife's illness), I feel my progress has stalled. However, my audiences seem to disagree with me. The last two performances I got very good feedback. The last performance, I had several people that have years of professional experience tell me that the performance was the best I have ever done.

And I also continue to define myself as a musician. I have found that the the music that I enjoy playing the most (jazz, rock, etc.) is not my best repertoire (again, my am basing this opinion on the comments received from audiences). Seems that my audience enjoys my traditional and classical pieces more than the contemporary and jazz.

I was wondering if any of the comebackers have had similar experiences?

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Like many people who put themselves in front of audiences, it like you are your own worst critic. You've set expectations for yourself that you're either not meeting, or not making sufficient progress towards. YOU are aware of every note and phrase that you intend to play, but audiences only hear the ones you actually play.

You seem like a perfectionist, but as long as that doesn't get in the way of your performances I think it can be a good thing...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dick,
    perhaps BECAUSE of the hard times, you are giving the audiences more, and feeding your own ego less?

Very often hard times bring us better in tune with the "soul" and that definitely reflects itself when we play.

Now you have the opportunity to make additional skills "serve" the music in a way you have never before experienced.

I think you are on to something special!!!!!

4. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Kind of amazing you said that. You are not the first to call me a perfectionist. My wife and kids agree with you totally! But I am aware of that, and as you said, I don't let the perfectionism get in the way of the performance.

I just find it interesting the the best audience feed back I get is not from the music that I enjoy playing the most.