coming back

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VAN, Sep 4, 2009.

1. VAN

VAN New Friend

Jul 28, 2009
    Pompano Beach
    Hello, I just took off about 2 months and before played about 2 years every day. My question is how long will it take me to get back? I find it very difficult to play the songs I played so easily 2 yrs ago! Thanks

2. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    "....the mind is willing, but the body is weak....".. ha. Old saying.

Unless you have a pressing gig/concert/whatever in the next week or so, just take your time. Set reasonable expectations, knowing that it takes diligent and consistent work. Key word there...is REASONABLE.

Put the "songs" down for now and get back to basics. Work on the same things every day towards perfection so that you are getting all the components (wind/lips/technique) in sync again. Short sessions, multiple times a day - if possible. You'll be back with relative quickness if you stick to a lesson plan. If there is a teacher near you...maybe you touch base with them for a tune up and to get you on track/formulate a plan.

Good luck...

3. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, if you want a tip to build lip strength, I would recommend lip slurs. You also, like wilcox said, want to get back to the basics. Maybe lip slurs, DT and TT drills, scales, and just one easy etude a day for as long as it takes you to get back to performance standard?

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Two months is enough for your lips to weaken but, hopefully, not enough that you forgot your practice regimen. Just go back to what you were doing that worked for you. It is your personal path to success. It will take time - not unlike going to the gym after two months off but it will come back. Think how long it is going to take those of us who were off for 20, 30, 40, 50 or more years. You are lucky you came back this soon.

5. VAN

VAN New Friend

Jul 28, 2009
    Pompano Beach
    thanks for the replys, I did come back after 25 yrs and developed a new embouchure and played for about 3 yrs almost every day. But I know u lose muscle memory and the secret as we all know is practice,practice,practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I would also add that you do plenty of soft playing working with long tones, lip slurs, flexibility studies, and some technical work as well. Remember playing softly is your friend.