Commitment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Commitment in our trumpet playing context is a term with many applications. I've been musing over one of these in recent days. I am ten months into my comeback and look forward to playing and practicing every day, missing it when I can't. My "daily player", which is nothing special, provides much playing satisfaction; but this was not always the case. I purchased the instrument new, and in spite of the manufacturer's warnings and instructions, the break-in period was tedious. Mouthpieces were a challenge too. After six months of experience, things finally jelled. I wonder how much time and money has been frittered away by impatient players seeking improvement via premature decisions concerning equipment.
    Jim

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Premature Decisions X Equipment X Sq root of Time = Millions
    Impatient Player

Of course equipment could be inversly proportional to premature decisions, depending on the impatience of the player......

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    as a comebacker for about 3 and a half years now -- I did buy a few different trumpets (hoping one would be significantly easier than another) --- I did dabble with a few mpcs --- until I found one that "seemed to work for me" ------ I have been using that mpc for nearly 3 of the years of the comeback now ---- I use it and practice with it --- and it works. Would something else have worked for me???? maybe --- but using what I have and bumping the practice schedule up to nearly 3 hours a day for many of those few years ---- YIELDED great results, IMHO ---Now, I can get away with a heavy 2 hours every other day, and an hour on the alternate days ---- and that seems to work for now.
    use what you got, practice with what you have, and put in the time to make it all come together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Simply put, I "make do" with whatever I have whether it is mpc or brass instrument. Not to say I don't acquire more in a buy and sell mode.

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    kingtrumpet wrote:
    I'm thinking kingtrumpet may have expressed what I was thinking in my OP better than I did. Putting in the time to make it all come together is the key. Besides my daily player, I have six perfectly adequate instruments stacked in a closet. The daily player is the only one that is truly dialed in. And you know what I was doing before writing this post? I was trolling ebay and seriously considering plunking down a pile of cash for another trumpet to stick in the closet! Good grief! I'm going to go practice...
    Jim

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    What, pray tell, does this mean?

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Commitment is not so perscriptive and rather simple. You play on the equipment that works best for you, for the amount of time necessarily on a daily basis to achieve your desired goals. It is different for everyone with a different formula for success. It's just that simple.

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The manufacturer (Blessing) was clear that if I followed instructions for cleaning and oiling the MONEL pistons (typical approach, nothing special), I should allow 30 to 45 days for a break-in period. I followed instructions and break-in occurred per Blessing's description. The pistons work flawlessly. But I was impatient during the break-in period. It was tedious.
    Jim

9. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    You play on the equipment that works best for you............:think:
    Two things come to mind........

1...what about the days of yesteryear there wasn't the money to go out and find what suits ...had do with what they had ...
    2...How would one know what works best you...this is only relative to what you have and can get your hands on....could spend ones life searching the holy grail.

Better time could be had enjoying what we do with a disciplined approach to our practice and playing....
    Really .....if you truly love the instrument it should not be a commitment but a love association ..Just like our partners in life.....But then again :dontknow::lol:

But here I am ... guilty to somewhat as the rest of are .....i'm sure.......

10. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    I'm a month into my "comeback", and I'm having a blast. I'm still playing with mouthpieces to find which one suits me best, and rotating through various trumpets to give them all playing time. I play trumpet until my lips cry "uncle", then switch over to my euph to finish them off. I'm up to an hour of playing per practice session, but it's not like I'm trying. I look up and an hour has gone away. Range has gone from a nasty, flat middle C to a tolerable G above the staff, but frankly I'm not pushing any high range work at this point. I do a lot of embouchure training, play some etudes with long and short notes, then noodle around with a jazz book for additional fun and to get some musicality in my day. Playing relaxes me and brings joy, and that, to me, is what it's all about. And though "things" aren't really all that important, I have enjoyed giving a home to a few special horns, played by someone who appreciates them and is in awe of their potential.