Commitment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Apr 27, 2012.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Thanks for your answer. I'm asking because I cleaned my last and newest one a couple of times in the months since buying it and have been oiling it as needed. It was not tedious. I've had four new "professional" horns in my life and never really thought of "breaking them in". They have always worked just fine, nevertheless. Just wondering what your manufacturer recommended.

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    gmonady,
    I certainly did not mean to imply that there is any prescriptive approach to our equipment. My concern is that we may sometimes give up on an instrument before giving it a fair chance to prove itself (lots of potential combinations of instruments and mouthpieces out there), incurring opportunity costs for ourselves in the process. You and I are in agreement.
    Jim

3. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    I certainly agree with you there, Jim. And, you've got to be willing to sound awful for a while, at least in the very early stages. I was at a friends house a few weeks ago and their son, age 10, had just picked up a rental trumpet to begin playing in the school band. He was walking around the house blatting on it and was perfectly happy. He won't ALWAYS be happy with a blatting sound, but he didn't expect to play like a pro on day one, and he was OK with that. My kids gave up on playing instruments because they couldn't tolerate the frustration of playing badly for a while, and I've given up on instruments because they were just too hard in the early going. Right now I'm at peace with the learning curve and realize that if my sound is off it's probably due to what's going on behind the mouthpiece, rather than what's in front of it.

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Nicely expressed, Pat S. I keep working on that ""things" aren't really all that important" part though. And I should correct something written in an earlier post to this thread; of the seven instruments laying around my joint, two, not one, are dialed in. I have two Blessing ML1s that were manufactured in the last six years. Their playing characteristics are virtually identical when equipped with the same size mouthpiece.
    Jim

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Adopting the commitment level of John Coltrane should pretty much negate any equipment issues of any kind. He practiced all day long (according to his wife) and would sometimes practice while at the dinner table (she was very understanding, huh?). And he would sometimes fall asleep at night, practicing. Then, when he had a gig, he'd head off with 4 saxophones (including the huge baritone).

That is commitment.

Turtle

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And I did not read your comment as to professing a prescriptive approach, but rather a reflection based on mature learned experience. I just wanted to reinfoce the excellent posts that you have made, just to bring the point home that one size does not fit all. And I totally agree and love your comment that people do give up their instrument too soon, and really do need to give it a fair chance to prove itself, because more often than not... success and proficiency will be achieved. So yes we do agree entirely, and I do believe our conversation in this post will help drive this point home. Thanks again for your great commentary.

You know there is a parallel here... I lost a GTO to an oil slick on a rainy highway. I bought a Camaro SS to replace it. Really missed the GTO and was not nealy as charged with my new Camaro SS... but with time, and experience, I learned how to handle the Camaro, got more trusting of it and have yet wrecked it when I get a little crazy. I was at first considering to get rid of my Camaro (perhaps trading it to someone for a large bore Martin Committee). BUT NOT ANY MORE... Love the Camaro SS and now actually believe it outperforms the GTO in MOST functions. So yes... don't give up the trumpet (or Camaro) until you really know how it can perform with the knowledge of experience and appreciation for a fine piece of equipment.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Jim,
    I think you conveyed what a great many on TM can relate to. And as the others who contributed to this thread. I am NOT the best at the trumpet --- but I am fairly confident and compitent to know "what I can, and can not do" at this time with the horn. I am also competent on the 2nd instrument (the trombone) to at least play all of the pieces in the community band ---- BUT none of it has come without a sacrifice, and that sacrifice was spent PRACTICING!!

8. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    I'm 2 years into my comeback (after 30 years!) I started with an instrument I was given, decided to get a C because I thought transposing would be hard... persisted with the Bb and sold the C, bought a more suitable trumpet as the one I was given was old and unrelaible. Finally after 2 years I have what I consider is an instrument that will suit me for a good many years. What helped was my neighbour who is a bandmaster and very capable teacher who comes round once a week for a jam/lesson. great fun, as you say committment. I waited 2 years to take the plunge and buy my ideal instrument as it is worth knowing that you are committed to something before spending money!

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I suspect that, in essence, this all comes down to a couple of things ..

i. Try lots of trumpets and let the right one find you - seems like a truism,
    ii. Try lots of mouthpieces inserted in that trumpet and buy the one that works best for you, and
    iii. Practice your little heart out.

.... I'm failing a bit on the 3rd (probably the most important) lately, but I KNOW that practice
    is what I need to make EVERYTHING trumpet ....... better.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

c'mon ted -- get with the program -- I mean how are supposed to impart dedication, and hard work, to the kid --- if you don't demonstrate that yourself???? ROFL ROFL ROFL -- c'mon man -- be the example, set the example, and of course get the kid a real METAL trombone --- ROFL ROFL ROFL