Commitment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Apr 27, 2012.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    What? I've injected him with the N+1 Virus (Trombone Bb+) - he has 4 trombs and he's only 20. I'm 60 and have only 5 trumpets.

2. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    By that math you should have 12 trumpets... you're way behind! Time to go shopping!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    now lets interject this thought -- -if Ted would re-aquaint himself with each of those 5 trumpet for only 20 minutes each day ---(ie. use them to practice with) -- then I calculate that Ted would have a COMMITMENT of about 1 hour and a half of practice time --- to inspire his kid!!!!!!! -- likewise the child (ok at 20, the young man) would likewise put in 1 hour and 20 minutes of commitment on his trombones.
    such a novel thought ---- use the horns -- practice ----- and then be committed!!!!!!! or perhaps that is the line the wive(s) would use for enduring such COMMITMENT for over and hour a day!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst to TM'r Ed Fitzgerald, he gave me the idea to revive this old thread. Ed had written about how he has committed to eight or nine trumpets across a forty-plus year playing career and wondered if this made him fickle. I certainly hope not! His experience is a little different from mine. I fell into the deep end of the trumpet gear pool shortly after I began my comeback nineteen months ago and have ended up today with five Bb trumpets, three Bb cornets, and a flugelhorn! I do not write this to boast; it is to my shame!:oops:

I bought a new-old-stock 2009 lacquered Blessing ML1 in July of 2011. In spite of the other instruments I own, I keep returning to this one. Apparently, it must suit me best right now. I like the way it sounds and responds, and I like its looks. If records had been kept, I am confident they would show that I have spent considerably more time with this instrument than any single one of the others; my present lame version of commitment to an instrument.

Have any of you maintained a long exclusive, or nearly exclusive, commitment to a single instrument? And if so, why?

Jim

5. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I started on my dad's King Master Model cornet, did a few years on a pawn shop special, and eventually wound up with my Blessing. I scoped out a Yamaha Xeno at a music store recently and tooled around with it for a few minutes, and while it was certainly lighter, it really didn't "feel" (je ne se quoi) any different to me. I've also laid down some small bids on Ambassadors and whatnot trying to sneak through an auction, but things have always gotten past my admittedly insufficient price range to get anything. So, as far as sticking to what I've got, I don't have much choice. The mind is willing, but the wallet is empty.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    just sign your name --- what is a little debt??? yeah, just sign on the dotted line!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm still mourning over an untold number of ex-girlfriends and one ex-wife, and you're telling me it was just an equipment problem?

I will point out, however, that just like women, running, hanging out on internet forums and other things, trumpet playing can be addictive. The more we play the better we get, which leads us to want to play more. I suppose the equipment might get in the way, which might explain the untold number of ex-girlfriends. The ex-wife part I messed up all on my own.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Re: Unbeknownst

My horn at comeback in 1986 was a Selmer B700, purchased as new old stock with a little damage at a good price, a year later a Selmer Radial C, these 2 were my only horns for 20 years until I discovered this site------------now I have 20+.

Regards, Stuart.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I have let instruments go because I couldn't adjust to them. But given enough time, I probably would have adjusted, and hence, now I want them again, to see if my patience is greater, or the adjustment shorter or easier.

This does not speak to the math of N+1, however, which I am quite sure gets much worse over time so isn't directly proportional with age, but is, rather, exponential. And yes, exposure to TM exacerbates the condition.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah, I was digging through the closet the other day, I was visiting my Dad earlier in the day and was saying, I should get rid of a few horns, -----then, when I was digging out the ones I don't use very much --------uhgggg, I ended up playing some of them, and said "gee, these really sound nice, I should "re-think" if I want to part with them!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL (could always just build another closet, and contemplate, - what harm does it do to keep the horns???))