Commitment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Apr 27, 2012.

1. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    It would be four, as it goes ....8, 4, 2, 1

(1000 = 8)
    (100 = 4)
    (10 = 2)
    And (1 = 1)

So 1+10 = 3 or 11.

But what does it matter anyway. :p

2. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    How about a bit of hex if you cant handle the binary.. 3D 8A FF

3. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Re: Unbeknownst

Yeh trumpet master has a lot to answer for............Started with one Yammah trumpet from my teenage years..... 20+ years later decided to take it up again and now 4 years later I have over 15 trumpet and cornets, funny thing the 2nd trumpet I brought is the one I seem to always go back to....a french besson by kanstal....the Marvin stamm model. I really think these horns are sleepers......

4. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I outgeek you all! It's 10 because computers count from zero, not from one.

The first = 00
    Second = 01
    Third = 10

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I told you I'd rather die than compute binary code again ... the way we did it in the late "50s thru early "60s. By coincidence I later worked a short while for IBM doing photo imaging for the production of Hollerith tabulating cards inclusive of U.S. Government checks, U.S. Savings Bonds, and U.S. Postal Money Orders, none of which are currently still in use. On one of these was the first time the numeral 7 was used on any negotiable instrument of the U.S. to designate it's face value. Can anyone tell me whose picture also appears on it, together with what type of instrument it was?

6. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Yeah, I'll let you keep the punchcards :p. My first programs were stored on cassette tape. So, I'm old enough to know vinyl and tape but not old enough to worry about card stacks. I have, however, used a slide rule before, when a teacher said that electronic calculators weren't allowed in her classroom.

I'm told that London Computer Museum built a working difference engine based on Babbage's original designs, so those old punchcard skills may still come in handy for you soon.

Edit: A little research tells me that it's Babbage's original machine that's on display in London. The recently-built working model is in Mountain View, CA. Oddly enough, that's where Google is headquartered.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've 4 slide rules here somewhere, a K&E log log duplex vector, a Dietzgen log log decitrig, and two metal Picketts, one my USAF Photo slide rule, and the other a rotary decitrig. I've used the rotary about a year ago. I went hog wild with my first electronic calculator, an HP and bought all the modules for it too. It's still functional albeit I've got to swing in a magnifier lamp to read some of it now. Problem is that the printer for it is now non-functional.

Oh well, I've now got pretty much the same math programs on my desk and lap top computers that once required a Cray to compute. The only punch cards I still have are now in my bank vault box.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Hey, that is cool -- back in the early 80's my teacher said the same thing about calculators ---- (so consequently I learned the slide rule), in which the teacher exclaimed -- that is a calculator also, I want you to be able to THINK ------of course, ME BEING ME, "I handed the slide rule to the teacher, and asked her, would you have to think to use this???" -------------of course back in those days (and previously granted permission from my Dad) it was allowable for the teacher to "cuff me side the head" ----- and I decided that actually, I didn't need the slide rule after all!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL