Community Band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jason_boddie, Mar 30, 2010.

1. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I went to a community band rehearsal tonight, and what are they working on?

Shastakovich's Symphony #5, only an awesome piece. I was like really, a community band?

Anyways, these guys have 10 trumpets, 4 french horns, 2 tubas, like 8 trombones. It's like a brass choir with those pesky things called woodwinds

2. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    Sounds like a BLAST to me....I hope I can find a group like that someday :D

3. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Wow... Compare that to things our community band is working on... :)

You are lucky.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Look at the parts that those "pesky things" are playing. If YOU have the chops to play them effortlessly, then criticism could be considered. Generally that is not the case.

As far as I am concerned only the players that do not accept our calling as trumpet players (waste and annihillation) are pesky.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Pesky though they might be, we profit by those hewers of wood and drawers of water.

And, uhh, in terms of sheer numbers, most of a band's or orchestra's most attractive people are not usually found in the brass section.

Except for me.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ...... AND ME :lol::lol:

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    We went to our All-City Instrumental Music Festival last night to hear our granddaughter play in her 6th grade band. Seems they've really stepped up the instrumental program in the city schools. the grade school bands were large in size, and didn't sound all that bad. Concerts were in Ummstadt Hall at McKinley High School, pretty good accoustics.
    our granddaughter is a flute player, following in her grammy's footsteps......Buck:oops:

8. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    and ME! ROFL:thumbsup:

9. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    we're very fortunate to have a good director who challenges us with difficult pieces of music. We also have a rediculous brass section. 14 trumpets, 4 tubas, 2 baritones, 4 french horns, only 3/4 trombones. I think this summer I'm going to learn to play trombone to help out.
    I have helped the percussionist out in the past when they're shorthanded. We have plenty of decent trumpet players. I have been reluctant to do so already just because I like playing trumpet too much, but 14 is a crazy number

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hmmmm, can you lend us a couple ......?