Community Band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jason_boddie, Mar 30, 2010.

1. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    Must be an Oz thing because we're struggling to get 2. The education system must turn out hundreds every year. It's really sad that so many think that music is just for school.
    Actually its worse than that. I've had a parent tell me they couldn't afford to have their child in the music program after paying for the sports equipment.

2. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    maybe it's all the deadly spiders, jellyfish, sharks, and snakes that are found down under, that are killing off trumpet players.
    All the nature shows have the 10 moast deadly lists and usually Australia is well represented on that list.

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Must be a pay-to-play program? We have some of those around here in districts that are underfunded, at least for sports:dontknow:

The lack of community bands around here really cuts into playing opportunities for me......Buck:-(:oops:

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Shame we're not on the same side of the country ET. We too struggle to get more than two trumpeters, although the target player is late high school - early university entrant, so they are busy. We even morphed into Stage Band format to differentiate ouselves from the concert bands many schools subscribe to.

We have five local bands, two concert bands, two marching/ brass bands, and our stage band - and we all struggle for members - amalgamation only occurs on ANZAC Day where it's common for us to field 15 trumpeters, 4 or five tubi (that's the plural of tuba innit?), a dozen trombs, plenty of percussion and woodwind things.

Last 25th April (ANZAC Day) we marched with 65 musicians, which is good considering many of the older members are beyond marching at 0500hrs. That mostly means that nowadays the band outnumbers the veterans - but by God do they march in step and with a real head-held-high-swagger. Our best day of the performance year, bar none.

If anybody's in Sydney on 25th April (only a couple of weeks away now) and would like a series of short gigs, fully catered but no pay, give me a PM.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Wouldn't the plural of tuba be tubae? Anyway, sorry to hear you guys are struggling for trumpet players doown under. Here in the US they seem to be a dime a dozen. Some days we have up to 8 in our community band. Maybe it's that Australian heat...

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Wow! In 6th grade I first came across ANZAC, pulling a book about commandos from our school library. I was most impressed with the folboats that Major Don Stott (from New Zealand, by the way) and his bunch used to mess with the our mutual Southern Pacific enemies in WWII. (The American magazine Popular Science had ads in the back selling folboats, which sparked my interest and long-term memory in the book.) While ANZAC Day has to do with a WWI action in Turkey, this book was all about a heroic New Zealander and his actions, using foldable canoes launched from a submarine.

Way cooler.

Maybe the players you wish you had are on that island over there that put the NZ in ANZAC.

You could maybe recruit using Olivia Newton-John?

Of course, you are too young to remember her!

(tee-hee)

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Our Big Band in Melbourne has the opposite problem, we have 4-5 regular trumpets , need a drummer, 2 bones and 2 alto saxes. We have 2 university students, bass and bone but their studies must come first. Fortunatly we only have one gig at the end of april and we will get some helpers for it.

Regards, Stuart.

8. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    NZ here, chiming in :)
    My school's concert band has 4 trumpets (Me on first, and the other 3 split between second and third depending on the piece) and 4 trombones and a Euph. No more brass, unfortunately :(

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Interesting 'celebration' is ANZAC Day.

To my knowledge the only celebration of the returned serviceman, anywhere in the world, where the ENTIRE NATION stops for the day in recognition of lives given for others, not just our own and our mates the Kiwis, but all servicemen and servicewomen from ALL nations involved in the various conflicts.

Respect - this is the REAL meaning - not just a finger and thumb sticking in the air.

I read Bryce Courtney's novel 'Brother Fish' some time ago, and found on p163 (that's how much it moves me) a great description of the meaning of ANZAC Day - it was an explanation by an Aussie digger to his American serviceman mate. I couldn't find a better description I don't think. I highly recommend the book, if you've a mind. If you're an Aussie, or a Kiwi (Maori or Pakeha) read it before 25 April if you can - it has completely changed the emphasis of the day for me.

Tubae, ah yes Phil - your Latin is more refined than mine - Ta.

Thanks Bagnewauckland - nice to see you back.

Sorry All - I've gone all serious on you - ANZAC Day is not far away.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tubae is an online auction for things too low to hear.

I think it is great that there is a holiday where most everybody stops and remembers that our freedoms did not come for free. This is also a good opportunity for bands to show how universal music as a language is!