Community Band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jason_boddie, Mar 30, 2010.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Rowuk - our band does 5/6 gigs on the day - Community Band (that's the thread isn't it?) members old and new, good and not so good, man and girl - all gather and offer music. That and respect are all we have. Many of us were not servicemen, but our gratitude is palpable. Thanks for your ongoing support when someone prompts me to comment on this subject - no, it's not the first time.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In America we have Memorial day. We watch a car race to celebrate.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ahh VB - well we Aussies follow the soldiers' traditions - we march and offer thanks at dawn, we play two-up, we have a few jars, we support our mates, we rejoice with our former foes, and we offer thanks again at the going down of the sun. And this occurs in every town, small or large, across the country. Oh, did I say we have a few jars - yep, that too. ;-)

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ted, maybe you've defined memorials (at least for this trumpeter). We don't lift jars but do give lip service.

You don't have an unmarried Shelia friend with a whopping income , by any chance?

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    We've some nice sheilas down this way VB, but you've hit the nail on the head about the whopping income - a laid back lifestyle takes that sort of pressure away a bit though. Some of these sheilas have good trumpeting habits too - I just wish we could attract a few more to band.

6. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    I ran across a community band that practices at a community recreation center three blocks from my house. It seemed perfect,I sat in and watched their rehearsels two tuesday evenings after I got off work. Then I called the director and asked if I could join them. I was told that since I live on the other side of the street that I am not a member of their community and it is against their community rules to allow me to play in their group. My feelings were hurt then it made me mad. I can sit at home and hear them playing but I cannot join in because my house is on the wrong side of the street,aint that some stuff?:-o

Tom Hodges

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Tom,

That reeks of eliteism, do you live in the same municipality, if the band receives public money then they have no right to refuse membership.

The community Orchestra I play in is 50 miles from my home and if the membership was limited to the municipality residents only they would lose 80% of the members.

If it is a privately owned/run band that hires the venue then they are free to chose their players under their own rules.

The Big Band I play in is a private band and membership is by invitation, although at times we have to advertise for members.

Regards, Stuart.

8. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    It's a retirement community,the band uses that communities buildings for its practices. The communities rules are that only communities members can use their facilities. The community members do pay high fees to belong so I understand but I expected to be asked to pay some sort of dues, but I just did not see it coming when he told me it wasn't going to happen anyway. But after the anger subsided I realized it is their loss and that they are the ones limited to the talent within their walls. I will be better off without those limitations in the long run. No my house is three blocks outside their community line,I am not a member and never will be. I just expected more of a brotherhood between musicians and was very dissapointed by my discovery of their elitism, as you put it.

Tom Hodges

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Understood Tom, a private band. Hope you can find another more friendly one locally.

Regards, Stuart.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Tom, relax - there is a reason for everything - you have no idea who was watching that exchange, or even who that BD may have spoken to on your behalf - life is funny like that. The older you get the funnier it becomes, and then you just get so you can't see the march pack.