Comparing an R37 to an U3/9

Discussion in 'Horns' started by fatcat, Jul 5, 2004.

1. fatcat

fatcat New Friend

Jun 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm looking for a horn with a fairly dark and warm sound, that has a good lyrical quality to it as well. From what I've read on the Calicchio website, these would probably be the top two candidates.

I've been trying as many horns as I can, and nothing in the local music shops as really done too much for me, or seemed to improve my sound much from the student model Yamaha that I play on now, so I've begun to look to other types of horns.

If anyone could give me an opinion of either of these horns, a description of how they compare against each other, or a horn recomendation from any other brand (that has the sound I'm looking for), that would be great.

PS-If it makes any difference, I play on a Yamaha 16C4-GP.

2. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Well the R37 and the U3/9 are similar to one another. They both have #3 bells on them....If you want a complute rundown of the descriptions take a peek at Larry Gianni's posts on the #3 bell. (Calicchio's site as well) It has a large throat. Also if you got the U3/9 with a red brass bell then it would be very similar.

The Ultra model utilizes a heavier guage brass. (heavy mouthpiece receiver, thicker bell, heavy bottom caps, etc,.....) Has the large #3 bell. The 9 pipe which is Calicchio's biggest pipe. It has very little resistance. It's called the Freddie Hubbard model. Except I do not think Freddie plays the Ultra model. It's probably classic weight.

The R37 is a heavier trumpet too. (it has the heavy caps too) This is not in comparison to a Monette or Taylor. I am merely saying it's heavier than the Classic weighted instruments. The #7 pipe was Dominick's foundation. The 1s/7 is called the Classic 7. The #7 pipe has a football shaped taper.

They both can be 'dark' and 'lyrical'. I think that it is up to you the player to be lyrical or not. The darkness is there if that's what you hear. (I hear a brighter sound, so I play brighter....A friend of mine hears dark and sounds dark on my horn..Two different sounds on the same horn!!...In my humble opinion of course) Either one would be a great buy.... Both would achieve the sound that you want to get.

3. Tulsaband

Tulsaband New Friend

Mar 31, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Hey Fatcat,
    I have a SLIGHTLY used Tulsa made 39L minus you may want to try out. This sounds pretty close to your looking for, email me know if you would like to try it.

Ceth Barnett
    www.tulsaband.com

4. Tulsaband

Tulsaband New Friend

Mar 31, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    pardon the typo