comparing MP3 players

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Lazorphaze, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    ok, i'm debating whether to ask for a Creative Zen Touch or a Dell Jukebox for X-mas.
    it's not likely that i'll get it, since my bro is getting an iPod, but i'm still considering.
    I like the Creative Zen cuz it's got more battery life, and more stuff comes in the package for less.
    what do you guys think?

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't know about the other two, but I have had 3 ipods (original 5gig, 40gig, mini 4gig) and they are excellent. I would highly recomend ipods over any other (I must confess, I am a Mac guy, too).

Kevin

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    LP, do yourself the favor and go for the iPod. It's what I'm asking for. Couple of things worth noting. First, you can use the venerable iTunes. Excellent jukebox, and the Music Store is better than anything else I've seen so far (except, of course, the less than, shall we say....legal methods?). Plus, there are accessories out the wazoo for it. Also, Hewlett Packard is now going to start supporting it on their new computers. And something I found quite interesting was that BMW now includes a package that allows you to use them in their cars. Of course, not like that really matters, but I just thought it was neat.

Just my $ .02

4. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    I don't want an iPod tho.
    They're barely covered by the company.
    and Zen Touch comes with way more in the box. With iPod, all you get is the thing, headphones, and the instructino manual.

5. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    What more do you need? You get the device, headphones, remote, charger/base station and wires.

Kevin

6. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    with which one? iPod? 3 of 4 mp3 players are ipods. i don't want one, and that not being my main concern.
    Does the Zen come with a charger? I hope so....

7. captjack

captjack New Friend

Dec 12, 2004
    Indiana
    I don't know whay you would want anything but an Ipod, but I would go with the Dell if I were you. Every review I've read on it has put it in a strong second to the Ipod, and works almost exactly the same way. Belkin has picked up supporting that too so there are some good accessories available for it.

One of the plusses of the ipod are its large software and advice support, official or otherwise, and its plethora of accessories. What sold me to the Ipod was not the hardware, but the software and accessories.

8. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    I have the Creative Zen Xtra. It really is great. The thing that steered me away from iPods is that, like any rechargable battery, it eventually loses its ability to recharge. Then you have to send it off to Mac to have the battery replaced, for a fee. With the Creative, you just buy a new, inexpensive battery and replace it yourself. And really, who needs all the accessories that the iPod offers? Either you listen to your music with headphones, in the car, on your computer. I don't see a need for special "iPod speakers."

Just my $.02

9. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I got the iPod. I like it. Yeah, I know the battery dies after a while, but this is quite a while down the road. Also, when you consider how much music I had on iTunes, converting all that over to another jukebox that I'd have to learn would be a REAL pain. Plus I like iTunes Store as well.