Comparing my Calicchio to a Wild Thing

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Vessehune, May 29, 2004.

1. Vessehune

Vessehune Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Sunnyside, WA
    I had the opportunity to test drive a wild thing trumpet that a person was trying to sell. It was an interesting experience to say the least. What follows are just my impressions. I'm sure every wild thing owner will come down on me, but these are just my opinions, nothing more.

When I first picked up the horn it felt like a toy compared to the heavy Ultra model that I play on. The response on the horn was nice, but nothing better than my horn. I was mainly curious about the reports that the Wild Thing slots well up to Double C. Well since I don't have the Dubba yet I just took it to a Bb below the dubba. It was fine, but again nothing spectacular that my own Calicchio doesn't already do. The sound of the horn was fairly bright through all registers, but with a little work could be darkened up.

In conclusion I guess I just love my horn way to much to replace it with something like the Wild Thing. If anyone is interested in a horn be sure not to pass up your chance to try a Calicchio. They are, in my opinion, one of the best made horns out there. They are a great buy for the quality of a hand made horn.

2. nowherenearadouble

nowherenearadouble Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2003
    Scotland
    Hi Brian
    Did you notice anything with the intonation between the 2 horns
    Alan

3. Vessehune

Vessehune Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Sunnyside, WA
    The both have good intonation. I didn't sit down with a tuner or anything, but they both fell into the slots well, but they also both have some wiggle room. They aren't tight slots like on a Bach.

4. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Hi All.... I am new to Trumpetmaster so please bear with me the first few times...

Re: Calicchio Trumpets.... I have owned my R32 for about 1 year now and I am a convert from Taylor Trumpets. I play professionally here in New Orleans and EVERYWHERE else I can possibly make it to on this planet. I have tried almost every horn out there and I cannot say enough about Calicchio! John is the most gifted horn maker I have ever come across. My Calicchio allows me to "speak" like no other horn I have ever played. I am now a life-long Calicchio owner as long as Duda is crafting these instruments!! I stand behind that 100%!
    I am not trying to disregard other horn makers in the least! I know that there are some other great horns out there and I urge everyone to try out as many of them as possible..... but speaking through personal experience I am grateful to be able to own a Calicchio. I too have tried the Wild Thing and I did like it but Calicchio is still my weapon of choice. I am interested to hear what others think about horn comparisons as well! Until next time!