Comparing Schilke B7 to Yamaha 8310Z

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by surplusguy, May 19, 2009.

1. surplusguy

surplusguy New Friend

Oct 23, 2008
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    I currently play a Yamaha 8310Z and find it's the best-playing horn for me of the many I've had. However, like new car fever, I keep finding myself wanting a Schilke. Several months back, I was trying to decide between a B7 and the 8310Z horns. I bought the 8310Z primarily based on price and am not dissapointed. Understanding that horns play differently for different players, I'd still be interested in hearing about the differences between the B7 and the 8310Z by someone who has played on both.
    Anyone out there who can help?

2. trombonejoe

trombonejoe New Friend

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    surplusguy,

I'm not sure if you have played the Schilke ? If you have then you have more knowledge on the subject than I:D

If not then my suggestion is to contact Gerry Lopez.

He is an insane trumpet player that owns a shop in Oviedo. He usually has 15-20 horns at one given point. I contacted him recently on a Yamaha 8335LA. The day I called he was expecting it at any point, but it was not in stock.

If there is one to try locally, he will probably be the man you need to talk to.

He can at the very least answer the ?'s you have in comparing these two horns.

His website is Gerry Lopez Music : Home .

Best luck on your horn search ,
    joe

3. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I've played and owned the Schilke B6, B7 and the 8310Z. I thought that the B6 played closer to the 8310Z. And yes, Schilke trumpets are excellent horns. Of the three, I still prefer and have the 8310Z. The feedback on the Z is much better in my opinion.

Pete