Comparing trumpets, cornets and other brass in terms of intonation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dorkdog, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Like a shotgun blast, if you intend to do playalong recordings, you must pull the trigger on identification of what signature key the playalong is recorded in and play in the same key albeit doably transposed for the Bb trumpet or cornet. Otherwise, you'd murder the song and your recording.

I've bought lots of sheet music for musicals, that were not scored in the same key as they were performed / recorded ... not even in the same key as originally composed. What key music is performed / recorded in is usually the option of the producer, who may concede to the whims of conductor or lead performer. That's not to say I haven't listened to music played like it was in the key of H***, even some of my own playing.

I am as comfortable in the bass clef, as I am in the treble, still also playing a euphonium, and have played trombone, tuba and Sousaphone, and still doing a little baritone voice

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Just in case you might be unaware, the very early horns used a different pitch to tune to than our modern horns. Pitch of today's C ( and all other notes actually) is lower than around the turn of the century. My oldest horn has LF ( for lower frequency) on the leadpipe to indicate it was made for the new, modern (today's) tuning, to distinguish it from many of the other horns of its day that still tuned to the old standard. Could it be that you have a horn that is pitched to the older high frequency tuning? Just a thought.

Many modern horns ( last 30 years) have good intonation. However, my Bach's tend to need the most compensation ( but they have slides saddles etc. for that). My Olds Super in pretty close on all notes. My Kanstul 1502 (Callichio clone) rarely takes any compensation. On older horns, King trumpets were noted for great intonation. King Liberty 2's are great. My 1933 King Liberty (plain) has good intonation, but the note B tends to be out of tune on it, for some reason.

All this is probably more than you wanted to know. Best of luck with the new horn.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Many vintage Buescher instruments can be played pretty well without using intonation aids. The D can be lipped in. The Db can be as well, though it is more difficult... but it can be done. You'll want to get instruments from about 1935 to 1955, so serials from 260,000 to 355,000.

Good luck! Feel free to contact me for recommendations. As an endorsement, James Burke, who also was one-handed, played and endorsed Buescher instruments.

Tom

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    To the one-handed player: The trumpet-support system is called the Ergobrass.

ERGObrass

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Vintage horns tend to have more intonation problems than modern ones. Multi-pitch horns have their own intonation challenges. With the A slide in, or extended, you'll have to pull all the valve slides out various amounts. Try pulling the second slide about 1/16", the first slide about 1/8", and the third slide about 3/8".

Nope. Slotting is the relative ease, or difficulty, of bending any note sharp or flat. Horns with tight slots fight such bending, horns with loose slots allow it without great degradation in tone quality. Slotting is related to intonation, in that on a loose-slotting horn it's on the player to hit a note in tune. But if a tight-slotting horn also has bad intonation it will want to land on out-of-tune pitches, making playing in tune pretty much impossible.

The Getzen will offer you mechanical aids to improve intonation. If you learn to use them, the Getzen will likely be easier to play in tune.