Comparing Trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by msodasoccer51, Jan 2, 2009.

1. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    Right now, I am a freshman in highschool, will be playing 1st in marching band next year, and probably 2nd in jazz band. I have found a credible website, that sells used, good, reasonably priced trumpets. I currently have a Blessing XL-TR intermediate trumpet, but am looking for another trumpet to replace it so I can use the blessing as a practice/second trumpet. I am comparing a Getzen Eterna for $675, a Vincent Bach Mercedes in great for $800, and a Kin Silver Flair for $675, a Holton ST-302 for $800. All are silver, in very good to great condition, and key of Bb. I also have an old 1970's Bach Mercedes II which feels like plastic when you play with it, and was wondering if I should go ahead and sell it, since the max price I could fetch for it would be $185ish. I was just hoping for some advice, because I am leaning toward the Bach Mercedes because I have read and found that it is almost the equivalent of a strad, but I don't know much more about the other ones, so I was hoping to find out a bit more, and get some advice.
    ThanksThanks

2. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    So you want another intermediate horn as opposed to stepping up to a pro?

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    What is your budget range? What YamaMan is getting at is that you can probably acquire a used pro instrument for the upper end of the prices you quoted us. Trent Austin has a strad ($800) and a yammie 6320 ($700) for sale in the classifieds here either of which is a good pro-quality instrument.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

I agree. If you're ready to pay $800 for a used horn, I'd go for Trent's Strad.

If at all possible I'd suggest looking locally for horns that you can play before you buy...

5. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    As a side note: Be aware of the difference between Bach Mercedes and Bach Mercedes II. The older Bach Mercedes is well regarded. The reviews on the II are mixed.

6. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah, I agree I would look for a used Pro horn for the money you are talking about. I got my Yamaha 6310zs for $650, and it is a great horn. I am sure there are simular deals in your area, or on this very site's claaified section.

7. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I meant classified

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    every one of the horns you mentioned could be a dog. None of those models had superior consistency. If you buy from Trent, you have a pro that WE trust and that will give you a straight story. Otherwise - PLAY BEFORE YOU PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  9. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I agree witht he rest buy one of Trent Austin's horn's. He is always buying them and playing them for a while then selling them to get new toy's. First he is a regular to this site and he is also a performer and a teacher. He is easy to track down if you ever needed to. He has has a lot of recording of the various trumpet's he is selling so you can actualy hear them. Because he is a pro you know he has taken care of the horn and it is not going to arrive at your door step DOA. So if you want a Bach Strad his for $800 is a safe buy. I would rather have the Yamaha and pocket the other $100 for middle weight cap's, receesed top's and hour glass stem's etc from picket brass. I would march with the trumpet you arlead have I would not use a pro horn for marching band especialy not a strad those things dent if a marching band student stare's at them for too long!!!LOL Seriously no sense ruining a good pro horn by marching with it no one will be able to tell the difference between a pro-horn and a student horn on the field. Look at what Duke Blue Devils won with last year!!! They where useing crappy DEG=Dynasty Trumpet's with their micro-tune slides. While DEG list's them as professional models I could destroy one with almost any American made student trumpet! My point is College are winning Marching band contest's with crap Dynasty trumpet's so why march with a Bach Strad save that for Jazz band or synphonic etc........

Also I think Trent has some vintage horns for sale too like a Holton Imperial or Revalation look and see. If you need a Jazz trumpet that is the way to go.

10. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I can not say enough regarding Bach tumpets. I had one to the first Mercedes in the 60's and it played great. Regretfully when I was in college it was stolen and I got one of the first edition Mercedes II trumpets. Great sound and I still play it. In 1997 I picked up a Bach Omega which projects an awsome sound and handles the high range easily.

The second series of the Mercedes II trumpets, with the lead pipe brace, were ok but were not quite the quality of the first series of the Mercedes IIs.

If you have an opportunity to aquire one of the older Strads...jump on it. But as many of us state...try before you buy, unless there is a return policy.

If your Mercedes II is in good shape like mine you will easily get $200+ for it. The guys at the music place I go to keep proding me to sell mine...

My advise is to use the Mercedes II for marching band while you are in high school and get the Strad for concert and jazz band. Don't take a good instrument out on the football field which will really take it's toll on it.