Comparison: Lawler TL6-1A & TL6L-1 ?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Seinman, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Seinman

Seinman New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Derby, UK
    I would be interested in some opinions from those that have experience with both these horns. How did you find the blow? What was the easiest to play for you? How did the sound differ? With the TL6-1A did you find the blow different with the Red Brass bell?

Any views or info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The TL6-1A and the TL6L-1 share the same bell taper, and bell flare, which yields a characteristic sound that is dark, and slightly diffused. The bell diameter of the TL6L (L) is larger - 5" or 127mm, vs the 6 bell's diameter of 4 3/4" or 120.65mm. The highs in the sound respond a little more quickly with the larger bell.

The TL6L has a squared bell bow, and tuning slide, to provide proper balance, and intonation. That design, in combination with the #1 leadpipe, yields a free-blowing horn, with good balance. It will produce a full, dark sound, with nice highs, when pushed.

The design of the TL6 uses the body, and rounded bell bow and tuning slide of the TL1. The more open #1A leadpipe provides a nice balance to the horn's design. The sound of the TL6 is a bit more focused, and slightly darker than the TL6L. With the "R" - rose brass bell, the TL6R's sound quality is slightly darker than that of the yellow brass TL6, especially in the lower and middle register of the horn, because of the higher copper content of the bell. I would classify this model as a good all-around trumpet that works quite well as a solo, or section horn, as well as in a small group setting.

To describe the differences between the different models of trumpets is very subjective. My preference, as far as the Lawler line is concerned, is the TL6R-1A, because that is the "feel" that I enjoy in a horn. That's why we have different models... so that we can celebrate our differences!

I hope that this is helpful!

Best always,
    Bruce

3. Seinman

Seinman New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Derby, UK
    Thanks Bruce!

Do you find the blow different with between the Yellow and Red bell?

4. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Seinman,

The yellow brass bell model - TL6, and the rose brass bell model - TL6R are very, very similar, as far as blow characteristics are concerned. The major difference is the added warmth of sound, with the rose brass. The yellow brass may be a tad more responsive than the rose brass, but this factor is fairly negligible, for most players. The main difference is mostly noticeable in the mid and lower registers of the horn. Once again, it really boils down to individual taste, sound, and "feel" preferences.

Best always,
    Bruce

5. Seinman

Seinman New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Derby, UK
    Thanks! Appreciated.