Complementing my studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Nov 30, 2015.

1. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Hello everyone!

I'm currently studying classical trumpet at college. However, I also have lots of interests in Jazz and unfortunately, the institution where I study doesn't offer students the possibility to take both classical and jazz classes. My teacher, who is a fantastic orchestral and soloist player, doesn't know jazz at all as far as I'm aware and even if he did, he would have to stick to the curriculum of the conservatory.

All of that being said, I'm looking to complement my daily practice with some exercices that will help me later also develop myself as a jazz player as well. The first thing that comes to my mind is practicing modal scales, and maybe using jazz licks and play them if like they were the second Clarke study.

I don't know if I'm making any sense... please let me know if I don't :-?

Thanks a lot everyone,

Just

2. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Listen listen listen. The most important thing you can do is listen to the greats- miles, Clifford brown, clark terry, Freddie hubbard, and Harry James to name a few. Try to copy what they're doing, learn famous solos. If you don't have a real book, definitely get one. Also, find other people who are like you and form a group! Just jam and build off of one another. Hope this helps.

3. BachM

BachM Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2015
    North Carolina, USA
    A private instructor or teaching yourself may be your only option unless you could continue college and minor in Jazz, but this I would not do.

4. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    image.jpg

Works for me!

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    . . . along with Jerry Coker's "Improvising Jazz", a great primer. Coker's "How to Practice Jazz" is probably a good idea for you to read if you aren't getting any other help.

I wouldn't bite off more than you can chew and play-alongs can be a minefield. But . . . you could supplement the Aebersold Vol 1 with Vol 54 "Maiden Voyage" and Vol 3 , "Nothing but Blues". Both cover some standard tunes and forms and are accessible technically. BTW - on Vol 1, read all that stuff carefully. And come back to the text from time to time as it'll mean more to you as you get more experience.

In addition to listening voraciously as mentioned above, play along with the recordings, even if you can't keep up. To play jazz you really have to absorb the style. Play-alongs have their virtues but you provide the style and feel when soloing along with a recorded background. Playing with recordings gives you the feel and style from mature musicians performing on them. Ideally, you should find a group to play with, and ideally, with musicians better and more experienced than you.

BTW - what the heck kind of modern music education program has absolutely no jazz in its curriculum?

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Probably some Evangelist Christian College - some sects see Jazz as the Road to Hell.

7. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Pat Harbison's book is good - takes you through modal drills like Clarke studies. Was a required book for me in college, but 20yrs later I still use it regularly.

8. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    If you haven't already start listening to some jazz tunes. No book will ever explain to you what swing is

9. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Actually my school has quite a strong jazz program. What I meant is that you either study classical, or jazz; they don't allow you to take both.

Thanks everyone for answering!

Just

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    But surely, even as a classical performer, you can play in the school's jazz ensembles. That'll do you as much good as practically anything.