Complete Fingering Chart

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GijsVis, Aug 18, 2012.

1. gelatinshoehorn

gelatinshoehorn New Friend

Aug 28, 2010

Could someone explain this statement please? I have notes in this register that do NOT sound with the conventional fingering. I've used an alternate fingering for those and my lips haven't fallen off yet ! I mean, isn't a C# in the staff played 1-2 really an alternate fingering ? I'm sure it all has to do with someone's theory about sounding the fundamental tone of the series. That's all well and good, but three exclamation points ? Surely alternate fingerings in the pedal registers don't rate more than one or at MOST two.
    s

2. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    You want answers, you can gets answers at Bill's Books , find Bill's recording " How To Develop Your Pedal Register To Third Pedal C, mp3 download $3.00

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  3. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I personnally find that just keeping the same fingerings as the notes from G in the staff till C below the staff help navigate, so you don't get lost down below. The lipped notes (F-C#) you can play with every fingering ofcourse, but I'ld recommend using the fingerings as mentioned in the begin of my post, just to keep a navigation point. the C-F# notes play easiest with these fingerings, but there will be other fingerings as well, but, again, I'ld recommend using the fingerings mentions above, for the same reason. Any other alternative fingerings can always be used, one should do what fits you best.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And this is why God created the 4-valve flugelhorn. It bridges this range easily.

5. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    The reason not to use alternate fingerings in the pedal register is for example, that when you get down to G and F# below pedal C at first they will come out easier with G being open and F# being second valve. But this is not a G but a very flat pedal C and F# is not an F# but a very flat pedal B. So use the correct fingerings to force the machine to work exactly as it should.
    It is of utmost importance that you use the correct fingerings to force the machine to work correctly.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  6. 2borno2bop

2borno2bop New Friend

Aug 11, 2014
    Beautiful Pacific NW
    here's to a hearty bump to user Gijs Vis for the creation of this chart.

a week ago I discovered this forum, and thread, while searching for such an expanded chart.

I took the liberty of converting the chart to a handy pdf....thank you Gijs Vis!

this thread deserves a sticky for young players, and this one old one - hint :thumbsup:

7. gelatinshoehorn

gelatinshoehorn New Friend

Aug 28, 2010

Thanks! Not convinced of the "utmost imprtance". By that logic an A below the staff is really just an out of tune E natural.
    Besides, every horn I own responds differently, especialy in the pedal register. A few notes simply DO NOT SOUND with the usual fingerings.
    It sounds like it works for you. Not convinced that it's critical for me though.
    -S

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    use whatever fingering work for you ----- that is my opinion

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I thought the whole point of these exercises was to develop embouchure focus (they're hardly musical notes) in which case the fingering must be relevant? :dontknow:

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Agreed, exception being when Arturo plays them! Incredible!!!