Complete Handel Trumpet Repertoire

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stephenwright, Aug 5, 2006.

1. stephenwright

stephenwright New Friend

Dec 28, 2005
    England, UK
    Hi, I received volume 3 of this (church music) and am just a little confused. There is no note at the top of each pieces saying "Trumpet in D/Eb/C/Bb" as there are in my other excerpt books. Most of the pieces are in D major however. Does this mean they are for trumpet in D?

Stephen

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Stephen,

If I read you right, the parts have no transposition listed and are in two sharps as are the piano parts. That tells me the parts are untransposed, C parts. You can use whatever trumpet you like, just know that if you use a Bb you transpose up, A C obviously reads the same notes, and a D trumpet will read down a step. If you use a piccolo in A, you add three flats to the key signature and play as though it were bass clef.

There... now you're thoroughly confused. Have a good day!

ML

3. stephenwright

stephenwright New Friend

Dec 28, 2005
    England, UK
    You read me sort of right. :lol: The book is sort of like an excerpt book- it's the trumpet parts from Handel's schurch music (I think) so has no piano parts to compare it to. It is written with two sharps and no listed transposition, which made me think it would be played on a natural trumpet in D? Or C as it has no transposition listed.

Stephen

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Those parts are how they appear when you play the pieces - the parts arrive as for trumpet in C and you choose what is appropriate for the work (and what you prefer to play on).

The parts arrive in concert pitch, you can play them on a D trumpet, in C major, reading down a tone and it will all be fine.

I am sure there is a good reason for these being done like this, but I have no idea what - I blame Handel (after all, he can hardly argue back :lol: )

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Mike I heard that it was English tradition to write the parts in concert pitch. Perhaps I am unsure because my English ancestors left before Purcell's birth.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think John Cleese liked parts transcribed to concert pitch..................
    The Händel manuscript copies that I have are transposed (no key signatures). I think the trumpet guilds would have gone berserk if trumpet players back then would have had to transpose.

7. stephenwright

stephenwright New Friend

Dec 28, 2005
    England, UK
    Awesome concert pitch that's all I wanted to know, I can now happily stop panicing that they're all meant to go up a third on the Bb!

Stephen

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Was playing in a pro orchestra a few years ago (ok, more than a few, I was still at university) and the guest principal trumpet obviously hadn't done the research you have now done - he turned up to play the Coronation Anthems having prepared them all with the wrong transposition - the first entrance was an incredible noise :lol:
    The funniest part was when he got into a "discussion" with the conductor about whether the singers were in the right key :lol: :lol:
    He wasn't booked again.