Compressor for a Bead Blasted finish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmanic, Feb 11, 2016.

1. crowmanic

crowmanic Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2015
    Harbor Freight has a 3gal. 1/3hp 100psi oilless pancake air compressor for $59.99. The price is nice but is the hp and psi good enough to deliver the bead blast necessary to put a satin finish on my trumpet?

thanks tool savvy person,
    crowmanic

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'd tend to think you'd need something a fair bit bigger than a 3 gallon compressor. I have a 2 gallon compressor I got years ago, and it has issues doing even basic tasks like running a trim nailer, and I even have to stop and wait for it to fill up when I'm trying to air up a tire after installing a plug.

I'd recommend something bigger - in some quick reading I've done in the past few minutes (google "smallest air compressor for bead blasting cabinet") I've read accounts where a 20 gallon compressor won't keep up - most are recommending 30 at the minimum, and some others are saying to go as big as you can afford.

Translation: $60 isn't going to get you there.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  4. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    Thanks tobylou8,
    If I had the money I'd have it done by a pro. Instead I may do something by hand or just drop the idea. The horn is fine the way it is.

5. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    I hope you got my reply trickg. Incase not, here's another. Thanks for your input. It's turning out to be more complicated and expensive than I thought, or should I say than what I'm willing to spend. If I find myself set on a satin or raw brass effect I'll consider doing it by hand. The horn is fine the way it is. Thanks again.